Kugelfischer pump quiz - what's this rod?

Hi, All smarter than I am - 

I am putting the engine together in my fresh-resto Tii.  When I put the forward-most plastic runner in, I noticed that it interfered badly with this thing coming off the MFI pump.  (See end of screwdriver in first picture.)  I have pretty decent documentation around the pump, and there is no mention of it, nor pictures of it.  What the heck is it and what does it do? 

The easy thing to do it to lop off the threads above the elastic stop nut and get on with my life, but if I need to adjust something and there aren't enough threads, it'll be My Bad, and I'd rather avoid one of those.  

I have my pump rebuilder working on it - he had no quick answers.  Thanks for anything and everything!

- Rob

IMG_0412-1.jpg

DSC_1622[2].JPG

DSC_1623[1].JPG

DSC_1624[1].JPG

I’ve never seen this before, what does it do?it’s certainly not usual on a b or c type pump, it may have had a use previously as you hear of additional enrichment levers etc for modified pumps but I’ve not seen one.

That is an aftermarket "enrichment" device that was used by some people that had tried to use the stock KF pump on a modified engine.  Something with a bigger camshaft and maybe header etc.  If you tried to "turn up" the pump to deliver the amount of fuel needed at full throttle the mixture was too rich at idle and this just pulled on the arm and acted like the cold start system but only at full throttle.  It is a very crude way of trying to get the mixture right. If you have a stock engine now it needs to be taken off and thrown in your neighbors pool.  

Edited by Preyupy
  • Like 4

It doesn't look exactly like this picture of Wes Ingram's tii throttle linkage (see link), but as Preyupy said, it's almost certainly trying to do the same thing. These days many of us manage the mixture by:

1) Using an air-fuel meter to adjust the verboten screw so that, at wide-open throttle, the mixture is about 13.5:1.

2) Loosening the half-moon cam in the tuna can and futzing with the KFish pump-to-throttle-plate adjustment until the mixture is tolerable in a wide range of driving.

Agree with Preyupy that, unless there are some wild mods in the engine, you probably don't need it.

--Rob

• Like 2

Preyupy -

Now that I think of it, you are most likely right, see below:

Full disclosure:

This is a 2200 Metric Mechanic engine and the rod may have to do with an enrichening device they have engineered to get top end performance.  Maybe I should be talking with Jim at MM!

Rob Hack - Thanks for the input!

- Rob S. 

Marty -

Yeah, I would like to think that it is already set up to go from them, Jim and I will talk. 

Hack -

Rob - You know that you are no hack, the farthest thing from it!

- Rob S. 

• Like 1

I had that on my F production car.  Wes Ingram set it up for me.  I made it adjustable but I couldn't get the mixture rich enough.   I was running 10:1 with a Schrick 324/316 cam.  G

7 hours ago, thehackmechanic said:

It doesn't look exactly like this picture of Wes Ingram's tii throttle linkage (see link), but as Preyupy said, it's almost certainly trying to do the same thing. These days many of us manage the mixture by:

1) Using an air-fuel meter to adjust the verboten screw so that, at wide-open throttle, the mixture is about 13.5:1.

2) Loosening the half-moon cam in the tuna can and futzing with the KFish pump-to-throttle-plate adjustment until the mixture is tolerable in a wide range of driving.

Agree with Preyupy that, unless there are some wild mods in the engine, you probably don't need it.

--Rob

Yup, that is my old pump that Wes worked on. It worked pretty well and I still have it.

• Like 1