2000TI Complete Cylinder Head/Air Filter to Exhaust Manifold

Price: $2500
Description:

This head has never been dis-assembled and is in excellent condition. Testing the waters here. Comes with the air filter assembly. It has been sealed and on display in my shop for 10 years. it needs a new home. Anyone interested, I will send more detailed pics and information. All questions welcome.Fair offers considered. I may have a block also. With a refundable deposit,I will take it to my machine shop for inspection and pressure testing,deposit returned if defective or out of specs.You may choose to get a valve job done at this time, of course at your expense. I believe that it came from a '68 2000Ti. I hope that this makes somones day finding this set up. Shipping and paypal fees additional. 

Dan

IMG_3913.JPG

IMG_3914.JPG

IMG_3915.JPG

IMG_3916.JPG

• Like 4

Based on the photos the manifolds and Solexes are from an NK car, not a 2002/1600ti.  The giveaways are the manifolds have the bellcrank system and the throttle levers are the NK version.  This will work perfectly well on any M10 but you will have to fabricate a linkage from the pedal that pushes the bellcrank toward the front of the car instead of pulling down as the standard linkage is.

GLWS.

Also, I think there is some confusion in general about the 121ti head designation.  I believe that most or all early M10s used the exact same head.

1 hour ago, halboyles said:

Based on the photos the manifolds and Solexes are from an NK car, not a 2002/1600ti.  The giveaways are the manifolds have the bellcrank system and the throttle levers are the NK version.  This will work perfectly well on any M10 but you will have to fabricate a linkage from the pedal that pushes the bellcrank toward the front of the car instead of pulling down as the standard linkage is.

GLWS.

Also, I think there is some confusion in general about the 121ti head designation.  I believe that most or all early M10s used the exact same head.

That is all correct Hal.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, halboyles said:

... Also, I think there is some confusion in general about the 121ti head designation.  I believe that most or all early M10s used the exact same head....

+1

Agreed, Hal, there is a common misconception that the 121TI head was somehow invented for the 2002ti, or even the 2002tii. Or... that only high-performance models used it. No, it was found on plain ol’ 2002’s!

Below are photos of 121TI heads cast in 1966, 1967, and 1968, respectively. I’ve not yet seen a 121TI head dated before 1966. That doesn’t mean they don’t exist. The 2-liter engine first appeared in, I believe, 1965. And, perhaps coincidentally, the 2000ti was introduced in 1966. So I believe the 121TI head might have been created with the 2000ti in mind (just as the E12 and E21 heads were developed with the then-new e12 and e21 series in mind, and were adapted to multiple other models). Regardless, I believe the 121TI head was designed for a 2-liter engine, and remains a 2-liter head.

In the case of Dan’s head, the September 1967 casting date (nine nubs surrounding “67”) points strongly to a 1968 model 2000ti or 2000tilux. I suppose a 1968 2000CS could also be a candidate. I don’t know if the CS coupe shared the 4-door sedan’s carburetor linkage. Someone here will know!

Anyway, I suppose if we got a look at the ID tag on the rear Solex — I don’t see a tag on the front carb — we might be able to unravel a bit more history.

Jim Gerock (@jgerock) uncovered the following BMW document a few years ago, which decodes Solex PHH’s by their tag color and model number:

According to this BMW-supplied document, the original rear PHH on a 2000ti or 2000tilux would have had a black ID tag, indicating model number 1 250 530.

All in all, this head, these intakes, and these carbs represent a pretty nice piece of BMW performance history! Now about that distributor, was it part of the original setup, or a later addition? 😉

GLWS,

Steve

999F9154-1CC2-46B2-9430-8BDDC172BA30.jpeg

567AA093-C942-4857-B903-BE19C15A5F19.jpeg

F447F611-6A92-48DE-9567-D5D0E40EF033.png

• Like 1