Plastic sheeting for door panels?

I just refreshed my doors (grommets and regulators, cleaning and lube). For the plastic that goes before the door card, I bought some 4 mil plastic sheeting at Homie Deport. The guy there said that he uses Mortite as adhesive:

https://www.amazon.com/Thermwell-Mortite-Weatherstrip-Caulking-Cord/dp/B0189BTRDW/ref=asc_df_B0189BTRDW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242000691778&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3688201010328591397&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031548&hvtargid=pla-491484768221&psc=1

So the plan is to use this because it doesn't dry and is easily removed. Is this a good idea? If not, what should I do? Thanks :)

If it is sticky enough to hold the plastic against the door over time you should be fine. I've seen everything from duct tape and old shower curtains to self sticking shelf paper so anything that seals to the door and keeps the water on the other side is fair game IMO.

• Like 3

+1 for Ian's dum- dum and a relatively low grade of industrial plastic (Visqueen!) 

There's nothing worse than trying to get hardened everything else off the door panels.

And they're a service item, so you WILL be back in there from time to time.

fwiw,

t

• Like 1

Water vapor passing thru Tyvek house wrap sheeting will make the door cards soggy.

Tyvek is for wind stop on houses and lets water vapor out from the insulation.  The vapor stop on houses is against the interior wall, Tyvek is against the outer sheathing.

• Like 1

+ 1 on Toby's suggestion--heavy duty sheet plastic (Visqueen is good) and strip caulk (AKA dum-dum).  Easy to install, easy to remove and reinstall.  If you live in a climate where there's rain, you should be checking the door's innards (especiallly the bottom edge) every 18 months or so--more often if you live in a soggy area like the Pacific NW.  

mike