• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gorgeous '72 tii

fastricky

Price: $75000

Description:

No affiliation except that I have purchased a car from this place (I'm on their mailing list and it's how I discovered this car) and it was a great vintage piece. This looks like a beauty to me, I'd bet the price can be negotiated a bit. Yeah pricey but looks turnkey for an A/C, great color example. 

https://www.schmitt.com/inventory/1972-bmw-2002-tii/?utm_source=Daniel+Schmitt+%26+Co.+Newsletter&utm_campaign=14936b25d3-August_18_2017+Newsletter_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_626a4ca2a6-14936b25d3-223358348

Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 9.25.29 AM.png

Edited by fastricky
  • Like 1

Yes, numerous things that people shredded it (and the seller) about a bit. Still a very nice example but with that public history available on BAT kind of doubtful that they’ll get the asking price.

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

Aside from E Pluribus Unum, the only other Latin I know is “Caveat emptor”. Whether we like it or not, the car restoration business is entirely unregulated and high prices attract amateurs and profiteers.  

I was one of the “shredders” having had first hand experience with the restorer. If  anyone on this site is considering this car, perform proper due diligence before parting with your cash. 

• Like 3

'72 2002 Tundra/Saddle,

'72 2002tii Ceylon/Black 

'89 325is Alpine White/Sand - 88 535is Royal Blau Gray Leather M Cloth

I was, and still am, not familiar with the BAT “shredding”. But I happened to look at the photos of this car the other evening, on the Schmitt website, and was seriously underwhelmed by the quality of the restoration. The $75K asking price was, in my sole judgement, ludicrous for this example as it sits.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

On 3/28/2021 at 9:50 AM, fastricky said:

Steve, give us (me) an education on what looks subpar on this vehicle? Clearly I'm in the dark on what makes this a less-than-great example, danke! - Rich 

Rich,

The fit of the left front fender — big gap between fender and door — and the generally bad alignment of fenders, doors, and hood, turned me off from the first photo. And why doesn’t the driver’s door match the fender and quarter panel? Is it because it was repainted, painted from a different batch of paint, or is it simply because it’s not aligned correctly with the plane of the fender and quarter panel? But when I saw the half-assed attempt at a replacement VIN tag, and the quality of the paintwork surrounding that tag — look at the terrible surface prep, divots and the paint already chipped — my gut said, “You’d have to refit this car’s body panels and repaint it if you wanted a nicely-restored example.” The first photo below shows this embarrassing area.

The seats, apart from the wrong number of pleats front (should be 12) and rear (should be 35) — a detail that only annoys a few of us — are too plumped! Yes, I suspect foam rubber and a reupholster who never saw an original ‘02 seat. Well, those seats would go right on my “needs to be redone” list. The second photo below, not of the Schmitt car, shows how redone seats should look. The third photo shows the Schmitt car’s plumped rear seat, with new perforated vinyl that doesn’t capture the original texture.

Regards,

Steve

B24186F2-AA18-426E-9A7D-F0B99C3FC805.jpeg

5CD047B2-B2F4-451B-BCD2-32230E25C0EB.jpeg

F063E60F-DE1A-4EAD-A5B7-70C6CE28EF19.jpeg

I just looked at the June 2020 BAT listing. $32.5K high bid. That seems like a fair offer at the time. A few minor items, such as the bumper guard fiasco, have been addressed by now. But items like a dash cap don’t fit on a $74K tii.

My concerns make sense now, at least to me: this was a four-month flip, using a shop without ‘02 expertise.

Regards,

Steve