• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW is a featured marque at Hillsborough Concours

steve k.

• Administrators

BMW is a featured marque at this year's Hillsborough Concours d'Elegance. The event is held in Hillsborough, CA July 16-18.

• BMW Classes are 
  • Pre-War
  • Neue Klasse (1500, 1600, 1800, 2000)
  • Touring (3- 5- 7-classes, E3, C/CS models)
  • BMW Motorsports
  • BMW Motorcycle 

More information is at https://www.hillsboroughconcours.org/

If anyone gets accepted, please let us know.

Steve K.

• Like 1

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

On 3/27/2021 at 1:57 PM, Slavs said:

Thanks for the info , Steve.

But "Concours d'Elegance" has an air of ostentatious snobbery and arrogance about it. 

Yep, it's French so what do you expect!  It's a chance for the owners to show off their rides.  AutoX & driving schools guys/gals can't have all the fun!

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

4 hours ago, John_in_VA said:

Yep, it's French so what do you expect!  It's a chance for the owners to show off their rides.  AutoX & driving schools guys/gals can't have all the fun!

A more accurate statement would be: It's a chance for the wealthy owners to show off their garage/trailer queens, that they paid someone else to build. They also usually drink champagne and talk about stock portfolios, yachts and other rich people things.

• Like 1

2002iii, perhaps this is the case in Hillsborough, but we have a good time at our local clean car contest with the BMW, M-B & Porsche clubs.  There are a lot of check writers (300SLs, GT-whatevers), but we see a good amount of busted knuckles & dirty fingernails as well!  And we go through more beer than wine (no champagne).

• Like 2

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

1 hour ago, 2002iii said:

A more accurate statement would be: It's a chance for the wealthy owners to show off their garage/trailer queens, that they paid someone else to build. They also usually drink champagne and talk about stock portfolios, yachts and other rich people things.

Except, of course, for the our fellow BMW friends who choose to show their cars at such events, agreed?

Yes, I know of one very active member here, who makes a good living buy afaik is not in the yacht and Hamptons set, built his car over years by himself and has show his car in top tier events and has brought home a lot of the hardware with it. 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

I got into BMW 2002's partly because it didn't matter your financial background.  The 2002 and the vast majority of drivers don't care about the size of your wallet, your politics, or whatever else people like to divide others by.  The have's chillen right next to the have-nots, brought together by the "fun-ness" of the 2002

Some of these comments read like sour milk. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Schon '02 said:

Except, of course, for the our fellow BMW friends who choose to show their cars at such events, agreed?

26 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

Yes, I know of one very active member here, who makes a good living buy afaik is not in the yacht and Hamptons set, built his car over years by himself and has show his car in top tier events and has brought home a lot of the hardware with it. 

Yes there are always exceptions.

18 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

I got into BMW 2002's partly because it didn't matter your financial background.  The 2002 and the vast majority of drivers don't care about the size of your wallet, your politics, or whatever else people like to divide others by.  The have's chillen right next to the have-nots, brought together by the "fun-ness" of the 2002

Some of these comments read like sour milk. 

It was like that about a decade ago, but now it seems there's a divide between the average regular 2002 owners and the tii and/or fully restored concourse owners.

When it comes to cars and coffee's and other small get togethers its usually more relaxed and fun.

But concourse de elegance usually means a black tie event with invitation only cars on display, expense tickets, red velvet ropes, a team of judges nitpicking every little detail of the cars. If you want to get an idea watch almost any episode of Chasing Classic Cars with Wayne Carini.

I've never read sour milk, I just throw it away lol. A little sour milk is like spilled milk, not worth crying over.

3 hours ago, Slavs said:

I personally feel socially distant at these events in the best of times

Slavs,

I like to chat with the restoration/detail guys, who in many cases, are the ones presenting the cars at these shows.

I learn a bunch from the "dirty fingernail" folks, not the dressed-up check-writers who don't have a clue about their cars.

Hillsborough is a fun event, not stuffy and expensive like Pebble Beach!  Just ask the 3 FAQer's who have entered their cars and taken home "1st in Class" trophies in the last few years.  Tickets to attend are $20 -$25 which includes parking. Not bad for a day on the golf course, with hundreds of really nice cars, good food and great weather. If want to show your BMW, and your car is accepted, the entry fee is $125. You can choose to have your car judged or not. Lots of cars are "hobby drivers"  not just "garage queens".

The public loves to relive memories of their favorite rides and 2002's certainly fit the bill and bring smiles.

That's my rant for now,

John

Meh, a bunch of us go to legends of the autobahn every year at Monterey car week and have a hell of a time. I love parking my slammed “Crusty” patina’d car next to concourse ones. 2 years back I scraped a big ol divot out of the fairway dragging my headers haha. You’ve got snooty folks in blazers and you’ve also got 15-20 of us rockin t-shirts sitting in camp chairs with a  cooler full of beers ? ?

C73425B1-24B9-4F81-9B30-97020EDD9657.jpeg

Edited by CoastalCrush
  • Like 4

Max-

73' BMW 2002

Member # 2329