• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flywheel and clutch conversion?

pd_55

I've got a 74' 4 spd with the 215mm flywheel and doing a clutch replacement soon. Someone mentioned to me that I should change everything over to 228. Is that doable with just parts; meaning 228mm flywheel and 228mm clutch kit? Both sizes will work with my 215mm 4 spd transmission, housing, splines, etc without any machining? Thanks.

Your transmission doesn't have anything to do with your clutch. It's not more than about flywheel, clutch set and throwout bearing what have to fit to each other.

A 228mm clutch set won't fit to a 215mm flywheel and vice versa.

If you should have a 1602 (do these exist in the US?) these came with 215mm from factory.

A 228mm wheel will make your engine some more fatigue especially if it's really a 1602.

Years ago I've converted a 1602 to a 2L-engine without changing flywheel or clutch. It ran for tenths of thousands of miles.

henn

Edited by Henning

Would there be strength issues with additional HP for a 215? Full engine rebuild is planned during the same time and will probably end up in the ~150-170 range. If I did go with a lightened or aluminum 228, I would obviously change  everything to a 228 like the clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing, etc.

just wasn’t clear if there would be housing clearance issues, starter engagement problems or anything else.

1 minute ago, pd_55 said:

Would there be strength issues with additional HP for a 215? Full engine rebuild is planned during the same time and will probably end up in the ~150-170 range. If I did go with a lightened or aluminum 228, I would obviously change  everything to a 228 like the clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing, etc.

just wasn’t clear if there would be housing clearance issues, starter engagement problems or anything else.

The 228mm is a little stronger and probably not a bad idea if your increasing the horsepower.

Clearance is not an issue, early 2002s and tii's got the 228mm flywheel with the standard 4 speed. The 228mm has the starter ring gear in the same place as the 215mm , the friction surface is behind the ring gear instead of inline with the ring gear on the 215mm flywheel. As long as you get all the 228mm clutch parts it should bolt in. Also remember there are 2 flywheel bolt patterns, 6 bolt and 8 bolt.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, pd_55 said:

Full engine rebuild is planned during the same time and will probably end up in the ~150-170 range. 

Thats going to cost... a lot. Are you sure about that?

New high compression pistons,  more than mild cam, probably a pair of side draft carbs + manifolds to get there.

Some porting, polishing  and matching may also be needed.

Your talking 50% to a whopping 70% increase from a little engine.

Not really very street friendly after that.

If your set on that kind of power increase consider: re engine to an M20 or turbo charging.

I dont see the need for an aluminum flywheel on a non race car, unless you like throwing money away.

IMHO

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

It won’t be cheap, by any means. Pistons, rings, cam, carb, etc. The engine and trans are #’s matching so wanting to keep them together, but also want to add some performance. I guess I could do an engine swap, but don’t have any space to store the spare engine. Suspension and interior are where I like them now, it’s just needing something extra for some more spirited driving.

Unless your going racing I don't think it's going to make any noticeable difference, If you go with a aluminum flywheel then it's a toss up just make sure the t/o bearing matches the clutch diameter you wind up using.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

1 hour ago, pd_55 said:

It won’t be cheap, by any means. Pistons, rings, cam, carb, etc. The engine and trans are #’s matching so wanting to keep them together, but also want to add some performance.

Are we talking primarily a street car here?

Set your sights a little lower to start, you would be amazed what a difference 30-40 HP makes in such a dinky car. Keep the 215mm flywheel and have it lightened,

It will be fine. Use the money you save to install a 5 speed gearbox.

Edited by tech71
  • Like 2

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

All roundie 2002s (carbureted and tii) had 228mm flywheels; only tii squarelights got the larger flywheel; carbureted squarelights got 215mm flywheels.

The main plus for the larger flywheel is longer clutch life.  I've seen (and gotten) well over 150k miles on a 228mm clutch; from what I've heard and read, the smaller clutches generally need replacement at 100k or so.  When I did an engine overhaul some time ago, I had a couple of lbs removed from my 228mm flywheel; the machinist took half-moon "bites" out of the flywheel edge, between the mounting holes for the pressure plate.  Metal removed from the edge is more effective than from the center due to centrifugal force (at least that's what the machinist--a race car engine builder--told me).

As for 6 bolt vs 8 bolt crankshafts:  on 2002s, that shouldn't be a worry on a 215mm flywheel car.  The changeover was at 1665200, midway through the 1969 model year.  The 6 bolt cranks use an entirely different pressure plate (coil spring type) and a different throwout bearing; however the clutch disk itself is the same.  That's the setup on my '69, 399 cars before the changeover.  Pressure plates are hard to find!

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite