Location of charcoal canister output hose on stock '73?

Hey, folks. I'm preparing my '73 2002 ("Hampton") to go on BaT. It's a 48,000-mile survivor car that still even has the EGR plumbing on it. Other than the Weber, I think everything in the engine compartment is original.

Except that the output line from the vapor canister is just lying across the valve cover, where it T's to the intake manifold and the back of the EGR valve. I currently have it unhooked and the manifold port plugged to avoid any vacuum leaks, but... is that correct? Was it originally run just lying over the valve cover like that, or was it run against the inner fender and around the cowl?

Thanks.

--Rob

DSC_0515.JPG

The hose from the charcoal canister is connected to the "large" vacuum spigot on the intake manifold below the carb.

This is also connected to the small purge line to the air cleaner (from the valve cover breather pipe).

Fuel System.jpg

• Like 1

John, I appreciate the plumbing diagram, but I'm less interested in the connections and more interested in knowing where the hose is physically. I'd initially assumed that its location laying on the valve cover was original because so much else about the car and the engine compartment are, but I can't find a photo of another 2002 with a vapor hose just draped over the valve cover like that.

The hose does cross the valve cover to the charcoal canister, which is mounted in front of your washer bottle.

There should be a bracket on the lower front valve cover nut that secures the hose, so it does not cross over the oil filler cap. 

I could not see (clearly) in your photo if this bracket is present. 

Wow...an original '73 with smog stuff intact!  I thought I was the last of the "smoggers" with my Calif. '76.

John

Great, thanks John! No, that bracket is unfortunately not present.

If I were keeping the car, I'd yank the EGR off it. I even bought the block-off plate for the intake manifold and the threaded plug for the exhaust manifold. But from the standpoint of putting the car on BaT and portraying it as an unmolested survivor, the EGR's presence reinforces the claims of originality and low mileage.

Thanks again.

--Rob