• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FAQ has become completely useless..

bluedevils

The value in this site isn't necessarily the archived info, its the users who are willing to help out/volunteer to share their experiences.  I havn't really bothered to get to know anyone on this board personally (which is stupid of me since I travel the entire country for work).  However, with only one "anonymous" exception,  I've found the usual suspects on the FAQ to be extremely helpful.  I play with a lot of different marques, so I just can't fill my brain with every little nuance of every car I get to put my hands on, so I've really appreciated the quick responses I've gotten since I bought my '02.  And for the record, it's one of my favorite cars I've every owned.  I just bought an M2, and 2002 is more fun IMO to drive. So, I guess my point is that this is one of the best, friendly, helpful and enthusiastic group I've had the pleasure of dealing with.  I've actually sold cars in the past that I really liked because the community built around ownership was so toxic (example: Corvette, 356,  Jag). 

I don't disagree that the search function is a little wonky, but as others have shared I've reverted to Googling what I'm looking for and including bmw2002faq.  Invariably, the first several hits on from here and exactly what I'm looking for. 

I run the e9coupe.com site and the search function on the forum software isn't that great, like most forum software.  I search my own site by using google.  "e9coupe.com search term"

Archiving images with the content is very simple if you can get users to attach them to their posts.  That said, we still have a lot of images hosted on third party servers that disappear.  There's only so much administrators can do.

• Like 3

A tip: If you’re looking for your own posts, and the post used a pic you added as attachment - don’t use Search. It’s easier to go to your Account page and look through your Attchments library. Each pic should show a link to the post it was used - see your pic, find your post.

Or use Search but be sure to use the ‘user’ filter, and enter/select your username, so it’ll only find posts made by you, perhaps with a date-range, specifying a from-through as well.

For stuff you really want to keep & reference, over and over, consider using a gallery, or blog-post, or a FAQ Article construction.  And once you find something you want to be able to get back to again later, “Follow” that topic/thread. Then you can always easily get back to it via your Followed Content page under your account.

Al, your seat belt info and how-tos easily qualify for FAQ tech articles that many would reference. Putting your ‘keeper’ stuff in easily locatable resources beats searching through tons of ‘discussion’ threads.

(Oddly, like Tom above, I like using the FAQ advanced search with all the meta-data filters vs using the Goog...)

Tom-too

Edited by visionaut
  • Like 5

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

The site isn't perfect but it's got damn good.  I had a 73 tii in the 90's and seen it a few years back. That started my search to get another one.  Researching I found this site and quickly realized just about any question or problem could be answered here.  One of the reasons I took the leap and purchased another 2002 is because of FAQ.  ?

• Like 3

15 hours ago, bluedevils said:

Can't find anything, can't find any of the old posts, very difficult to navigate etc. What the hell of going on here? Do I need a Ph.D. in navigation science? This web site is complete garbage now.. 

Rough day? 

Most people just ask the same ol' questions in a brand new post. Gives us something to both complain about, and also comment on :)

Isn't that what forums are mostly about? Being able to interact with others that have a shared interest and ultimately and hopefully devolve into pizza discussions? Maybe that's just me....

Speaking of, It's Pizza Friday. 

RAY WHERE U AT?!

2745CCBE-FDDA-4803-BA7F-F5B4BA7AF67A_1_105_c.jpeg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, TobyB said:

No, I totally agree.  we're a complete and utter bunch of wankers.

Says the guy with 19000 + posts...  by the guy with 15000+ posts.  Naw, we don't like it...

Can't speak for Toby, but it's a rare day I don't learn something new about 2002s--and that's after nearly 52 years of continuous ownership.  Yay FAQ and thanks, Steve.

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

But it is frustrating when you can't find stuff you knew were there before...   

Totally agree. 

This is why I have given up on Microsuck products.  They ran out of useful

features to add sometime back around 1998, solved the reliability issues roughly 15 years later,

and now are intent on just moving shit around for no good reason whatsoever.  To actually

make things work, you find yourself digging for a 'feature' that was introduced in win 3.1, and

executed best in 98.  And LOOKS just like it did in '98.  

t

CP/M

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

On 3/18/2021 at 8:25 PM, TobyB said:

No, I totally agree.  we're a complete and utter bunch of wankers.

Reminds me of when I was young my Dad came into my room and said son you'll go blind doing that. My answer was'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

Wait for it.

'

'

'

'

'

'

'

Dad I'm over here.....Rim shot........Thank you.....thank you I'll be here all week.

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Haha 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Al is one of the good guys, been helping this community for a long time. Just don't see why anyone would not understand that we all have bad days and need to vent.

Edited by Cruzr
  • Like 5

Robert in NJ
73 2002 (Verona)

72 2002tii (Verona)

48 minutes ago, Cruzr said:

Al is one of the good guys, being helping this community for a long time. Just don't see why anyone would not understand that we all have bad days and need to vent.

And there seem to be lots of folks who forget the vast quantities of actual ‘FAQ’ articles and articles under construction.  

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Just don't see why anyone would not understand that we all have bad days and need to vent.

Would you go to my place of employment and shove that up their asses, sideways?

It's going around.  

t

• Haha 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL