Adjustable Control Arms, take 2

Hello again to the 02 community.

After this,

I was discouraged by this idea and took a few months break from trying to build these things. I threw a lot of work in the trash...

This is my first time manufacturing something like this by myself, so this has been an extensive & expensive learning experience. I’ve actually had a really fun time doing this so hopefully you guys like and I can offer you some more stuff. I’ve designed some other components that I think are pretty cool.

My goal was an adjustable setup that retained decent street manners, was really good for B-road ripping, could perform track duty, and didn’t require any subframe modification. I found new machinist/suppliers, dialed in the design, and talked to some people. This is what I have now.

3-17.01.jpgIMG_4819.jpg

IMG_4823.jpg

This configuration allows a camber adjustment of 2.4°. Stock front end camber is +0.5° +- 0.5° with no provision for adjustment. At the shortest setting, these arms set the wheels at 0°, allowing a 0° to -2.4° camber range. If you want a -0.5° to -2.9° range or +0.5° to -1.9 range etc, let me know. Caster can be adjusted slightly as well. You’ll run into wheel well interference if you try to get crazy. 

I’ve done my best to build a product I’m proud of. To my knowledge I have cut zero corners and have used the best components that I know of. Each part is made in the USA minus the plastic bushings in the clevis, those are German. 

All yellow plated hardware is AN aircraft stuff; jam nuts are $3 each... If you’re not familiar with https://www.aircraftspruce.com/, please go look. It’s the best site ever. Super fast shipping and just cool good stuff. Also good chromoly pricing.

The big polished stainless joint on the control arm is a johnny joint. I wanted to make a control arm that still had a level of street-ability. I was designing a bushed heim setup to make myself and then found these. They are pretty trick. RockJock mfg'd. 

IMG_4835.jpgIMG_4834.jpg

The insides look like this: 

0002167_ce-9112nrk-narrow-2-johnny-joint-rebuild-kit.jpeg0002635_ce-91122-4-2-johnny-joint-ball-center-1800-x-630-hole.jpeg

There is a polyurethane bushing inside the large housing that provides damping between the ball and the arm. They are greasable via a zerk and are rebuildable (the innards picture is the $13 rebuild kit) 

The connection of the tension arm to the chassis is isolated by powerflex bushings. 80A durometer is stiffer than stock but still allows good smooth deflection and articulation. 2piece construction is easy installation. 

The clevis connection from the tension arm to the control arm is fully bushed. Between the bolt shank and the tab, is a carbon fiber reinforced PEEK polymer bushing pressed into a hole reamed to a tight tolerance. Between the clevis ‘ears’ and the tab are two FRP washers to isolate metal-metal contact. That joint moves very smoothly and has some level of vibrational damping capabilities. When the ‘ears’ are compressed onto the plastic via bolt torqueing, there is no noticeable free play in any axis, yet the clevis can rotate smoothly about the bolt axis. My main reason for doing this was to prevent fretting corrosion as well as eliminate metal-metal contact. Low maintenance is good.

3-17.02.jpgIMG_4749.jpgIMG_4790.jpg

The balljoint is lemforder brand, e30 spec. Pressed into a low tolerance bored hole in a ⅝” thick piece of waterjet chromoly. Boring/reaming takes place after welding to insure no warpage. 

I’ve installed this prototype pair on my car, and am waiting for my fabricator to have some time to make me a new tension arm. He's a wizard. Slight edits are needed. I hope to have my car aligned & driving by next friday 3/26. I will definitely post installed pics. 

If you’re interested in a set, please send me a PM to discuss. Pricing is looking around 1300. I am trying to understand what the demand looks like. The first 6 pairs are spoken for in my friend group (pending my car drives well, if not I will not sell these) and I want to get spun up on production 2. 

Many thanks,

MP

IMG_4824 (1).jpg

need a haircut

Edited by mttpekin
hopefully pics work now
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello again to the 02 community.   After this, I was discouraged by this idea and took a few months break from trying to build these things. I threw a lot of work in the trash...

Hi all,   This was a pretty fun weekend. I made some parts in 3 days that'd usually take 2-3 weeks..  The offset bushing interfacing piece came out really nice^^. The first boss h

Finished installing/adjusting/torquing everything around sunset yesterday and took it for a cruise. Drive #1 on my suspension had me feeling pretttty good. The car feels good. I was taking it easy. Sp

Posted Images

Sounds cool, but most of the pics aren't loading.

Edit: Okay, now with pictures they look terrific.  Very nice job!

👍

Edited by Ian

I think I've solved this issue. 

2 hours ago, MOESPEED2002 said:

I cant seem to see the pictures for your references if there has been changes.

2 hours ago, Ian said:

Sounds cool, but most of the pics aren't loading.

19 hours ago, mttpekin said:

Caster can be adjusted slightly as well. You’ll run into wheel well interference if you try to get crazy.

Anymore info on this?

19 hours ago, mttpekin said:

The big polished stainless joint on the control arm is a johnny joint. I wanted to make a control arm that still had a level of street-ability. I was designing a bushed heim setup to make myself and then found these.

Looking at their Website, I am unable to find a metric size. Are these .625"? Will the standard M16 bolt work or will you be providing new 5/8" hardware?

I have been drifting away from Poly as much as possible. Hate the maintenance from the squeak. I have really had excellent performance from Condors Bushings and would love to stay that way. I am assuming that the front tension rod bushing is STD 02.

These have really turned out nice and glad you have pursued the challenge.

Thanks

Posted (edited)

Thank you all for the feedback. I too am pretty amped on how they've turned out thus far.

15 hours ago, steve k. said:

I am sorry you got discouraged, but glad you came back to the project. Things look fantastic!  Do you have photos of the prototype installed?

Thank you! I do have pics but am going to hold off until the revised tension arm is installed. Should have on by end of next week. Car is currently sitting shimmed to 0+-0.05° in pitch & roll awaiting a measuring session... Currently figuring out a fixture to turn this into an easy camber/caster gauge. 

angle.jpg  

12 hours ago, MOESPEED2002 said:

Anymore info on this?

The clevis connection will be near centered for stock caster (4°) at a 1" lowered car. This will allow adjustment to around 5.3° fully threaded in and 3.5° 'out'. These are calculated numbers. I believe near the stock caster will be the ticket here (4.5°-5°). I will know shortly. 

Looking at their Website, I am unable to find a metric size. Are these .625"? Will the standard M16 bolt work or will you be providing new 5/8" hardware?

0.6250" = 15.875mm

0.6299" = 16mm

Installing the 0.625" ball on the '16mm' subframe bolt fits better than the stock bushings. It's a nice fit. I just measured the ID of that bore and its 0.628" so pretty close to 16mm.. Mounting utilizes the stock castle nut. I can include cotter pins. 

johnnyjointid.jpg

I have been drifting away from Poly as much as possible. Hate the maintenance from the squeak. I have really had excellent performance from Condors Bushings and would love to stay that way. I am assuming that the front tension rod bushing is STD 02. 

Correct, the stock rubber or any bushing designed for the 02 should work. I have no experience with UHMW as a bushing material in this application so I don't know exactly your setup. 

These have really turned out nice and glad you have pursued the challenge.

Very appreciated 

8 hours ago, Daniel M2 said:

I'm interested in two sets.

407-832-2222 if you have questions...

Daniel, thank you. Will be in contact soon.

Edited by mttpekin
  • Like 1