• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Difference in turn signal stalk form 1975 Vs the older ones.

kota02

Hello,

My car's name is "SANDY" because it was sand blasted by the previous to previous owner, with everything in the car. I bought it as a basket case two years ago and fixed things one at a time. The car is running now and I drive it occasionally but I need to fix my turn signals.  As a result of the sandblasting, the car has had sand coming out of mysterious places. Till about a month ago, when I finally took the heater core out and took it apart to replace the fan and get about six pounds of sand out, now it is not so sandy and is a perfectly drivable, amazing little car.

I have been meaning to take the turn signal stalk out to ensure that it is not stuck or the contacts are making the connection. Upon taking the thing apart, I realized that it has one of the copper contact plates missing, based on the thread here.
I fabricated a new contact plate and was going to install it but then I realized that my stalk has only three contacts compared to the six in the post above.

I am going to put it back together tomorrow and then test it, but I thought I should post the question here as well.

The first image is why I thought I needed another one.
What do you all think?

AND, while I have your attention, I put it back together and the turn signals still do not work, what should be my next step?

contact plate 0.jpg

contact plate 2.jpg

contact plate.jpg

'74-76 2002s all use the same turn signal lever, found on the left side of the steering column.  It also incorporates the high/low beam headlight switch, and dthe headlight flasher.  It's completely different from the two different ones used on roundies.  68-early 71 roundies have a turn signal lever on the right side of the steering column that also incorporates the windshield wash/wipe feature.  They have a jelly bean-shaped knob on the stalk's end.  72 and 73 car's turn signal lever, also on the right, incorporates both the wash/wipe feature and when pushed in, turns on the windshield wipers.  These levers have conical end knobs.

So...what you need is a right side lever from a 74-76 car and you'll be set.  The earlier ones won't work on your car without some circuit probing and jury rigging.

mike

• Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Hello Mike, Thanks for your reply.

Update on my situation.

I was able to take it apart, clean it and put it back together. The contacts seem to be all good.

Here is the status now:

1. If I push the hazard switch in, the front turning signals and rear running lights start blinking (may be these are rear brake lights)
  2. Without the hazard switch "on", the head lights work.
  3. The high beam action works with the turn signal stalk.
  4. Both front and back left turn signals work.

I have swapped relays, tried the EL13 relay, have checked all of the ground connections, I think, but can't get the right turn signals to come on with the turn signal stalk in right turn position.....

What should be my next steps?

47 minutes ago, kota02 said:

Hello Mike, Thanks for your reply.

Update on my situation.

I was able to take it apart, clean it and put it back together. The contacts seem to be all good.

Here is the status now:

1. If I push the hazard switch in, the front turning signals and rear running lights start blinking (may be these are rear brake lights)
  2. Without the hazard switch "on", the head lights work.
  3. The high beam action works with the turn signal stalk.
  4. Both front and back left turn signals work.

I have swapped relays, tried the EL13 relay, have checked all of the ground connections, I think, but can't get the right turn signals to come on with the turn signal stalk in right turn position.....

What should be my next steps?

As Mike has indicated above, you have the wrong switch and it was never designed to work on your 1975 2002.

You need to get the proper switch for a 74-76 2002. Which should be bmw # 61311356609.

More pictures and info on the car and the wiring and plugs would help.

• Like 1

Hello 2002tii,

Thanks for your reply. The car is a 1975 2002. Four speed. I searched for bmw # 61311356609, and it is exactly the switch I have. 
My #6 fuse was blown and I have fixed that just to test the turn signals and lights.

The stalk has been fine with high beam, low beam....Or I should say when I would pull it up, it would flash the lights, other then that the lights would be in low beam. I assumed it was because of the switch being gummed up.

The stalk now moves up and down for turn signals as well as back and forward for hi/lo beam as well as the pull up action for flashing the hi beam.

I still can't figure-out the non working right hand side turn signals.

switch2.jpg

switch1.jpg

pigtail.jpg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, kota02 said:

Hello 2002tii,

Thanks for your reply. The car is a 1975 2002. Four speed. I searched for bmw # 61311356609, and it is exactly the switch I have. 
My #6 fuse was blown and I have fixed that just to test the turn signals and lights.

The stalk has been fine with high beam, low beam....Or I should say when I would pull it up, it would flash the lights, other then that the lights would be in low beam. I assumed it was because of the switch being gummed up.

The stalk now moves up and down for turn signals as well as back and forward for hi/lo beam as well as the pull up action for flashing the hi beam.

I still can't figure-out the non working right hand side turn signals.

switch2.jpg

switch1.jpg

pigtail.jpg

Sounds like your switch is working fine now. You must have another issue with the wiring. I would check the wiring from the switch to the bulb for continuity.