Hi All, first time posting so apologies if I put this in the wrong place.

Does anybody know which wheels and tires these are in the photo ? I haven't seen anything similar elsewhere. I guess they are not genuine Alpinas as I understand 15" won't fit ?

Many thanks,

Damien

image.png

What a nice warm welcome to the forum that is.

Racking my brain to understand what devious intent seems to be apparent in my original post.

I've only had my 2002tii project for about 3 weeks so have a lot to learn. It seemed to me that the easy option for wheels would be proper Alpinas from an E21, but I understand these just don't work. I mean to say, that's the style of wheel I like. I've read up a lot more now then when I posted that, and I still don't know to be honest, even people who have fitted the Oz 15" wheels can't seem to agree definitively if they rub on the arches or not, even with rolled fenders. It seems wheel options are pretty limited on these cars. But really this isn't something that I'm seriously investigating now, more important things to think about. Steel wheels look fine to me, it won't be a custom type job anyway.

I see you've an e9, so you'll probably be a member on the e9coupe site. I've got the same username on there and have been a member for 15 years or more, so hopefully that puts your mind to rest about whether or not I plan to sell that highly confidential and prized information on aftermarket wheel options to the Russians.

Regards,

Damien

Yes, Damien, you’ve posted in the wrong section; but you’re neither the first nor last to do that! 😉

You can read through lots of commentary on fitting rims in multiple threads — all in the “other”, general forum. And you will come away with a simple answer: a 7 x 15 rim — far from the original 4 1/2 x 13 and 5 x 13 rims — might fit on your car without rubbing, or modifications.”

There were variations from car to car when they were new. Fifty years later, some combination of use, damage, repair, replacement parts (including OEM and aftermarket, new and used), and willful modification (e.g., lowering, negative camber plates), mean that variations from car to car are considerably greater today. Unless you’ve owned your car from new — and even then there were a couple months that passed between manufacture and delivery when the original owner was not present — you really don’t know its history (Yes, I recognize that every car owned by its third owner is labeled as “never been hit”. Yeah, right!).

Add the fact that every make and model of tire has a different profile: some more “square-shouldered”, some more “rounded”, and it’s impossible to predict. Recall, you are attempting to fit a rim and tire no factory engineer would suggest in 1972. ‘02’s came with 165/80-13 tires. Period. Full stop. And that’s all that will fit in the spare tire well. No accident, part of the plan!

Your best bet in a 7 x 15 rim has an offset of ET28 to ET25. You may find that the fronts are OK, but the rear fender lips require rolling the lips.

You may find that the fronts rub a bit at hard lock, or at hard-lock-while-entering-a-driveway. Or maybe they won’t. Or maybe they will and you won’t hear it.

So... lots of owners run 7 x 15 rims on ‘02’s. You wouldn’t be the first or the last! Those threads on the correct “forum” will provide the best guidance as to which tire sizes, and which tire brands and models, are most likely to work best.

Regards,

Steve

What an excellent detailed response Steve, very much appreciate your input. This all correlates with everything I’ve read on the subject so far. The car in the photo for sure has probably had all manner of modifications done as you say. My own, I do think, being a barn find type project and off the road for some 27 years, probably is quite original, I expect the options would have been quite limited the 5 or 10 years prior to that when it was last loved. I’ll take my business to the appropriate forum when I come to revisit this subject in a few months time, meanwhile lots of other things I need to get up to speed on. Kind regards, Damien