On hold w cali Dmv for over an hour- help!!

So, I have a 71 bmw 2002- only ever registered in California. 

i am from cali but moved away 6 years ago- registration lapsed as I left my car w fam in cali. Still has the cali plates but last had a sticker from 2017.

I have a NY state license. But, I want to drive my car (which remains in California). Do I need a valid CA license to register my car in California? How do people keep cars in various states? Please help! Hoping to get the car running by tomorrow when I arrive and find a way to legally drive it insured and registered.

been on hold w cali Dmv to ask a question for over an hour and a half. Yuck!

thanks!!!!

peter 

Edited by Poloace

I think any valid US driver's license should work for registration. Your also going to need proof of insurance before you can register it.

The real question is did you register it non operational? If not your going to end up paying a lot in back registration and late fees.

I would try and register it online if possible, CA DMV is not know for good phone service. I would also see if your family in California can go to a DMV, it's a little easier with an actual person in front of you.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply- so get it insured then just show up and that should be all good?

cool.

hopefully it goes smoothly. And no- didn’t register it as non-op. I’ll probably end up paying a bit for that dang it

3 minutes ago, Poloace said:

Thanks for the reply- so get it insured then just show up and that should be all good?

cool.

hopefully it goes smoothly. And no- didn’t register it as non-op. I’ll probably end up paying a bit for that dang it

Should is the key word in that sentence, bring all the paperwork you have for the car and hope for the best.

Ouch, your wallets in for a hurting.

When I re registered my dads 1974 2002 a few years ago that was on non-OP for 25+ years they tried to tell us it needed to pass smog lol.

Your also going to need proof of insurance before you can register it.

unless you register it in Washington state.  Then it's just proof of ownership.  No smog, even, any more.

However, WA also NAILS you for driving an out- of- state plate in your name

with a WA license- $500 or so, now- so ask NYS about that. I suspect you'll find

similar. 

I recall NYS being only one step below the military in its 'attention to detail'

but CA was all 'free and easy' right up until it wasn't- and then the NYS system started to look good.

But that was decades ago.  Before WA even required insurance (1994, in case you were wondering)

t

• Haha 1

You should not need a CA Driver's License to register your previously CA registered 71 BMW 2002.  It should still be in the system, but as others have mentioned, if it wasn't registered Non-OP, it will have 6 years of back registrations to pay.  It would be best to dig up the Pink Slip and last registration paperwork showing you are the registered and legal owner and personal ID to prove that you are you (Passport, NY Driver's License, etc.).  You will also need Proof of Insurance, but no smog certificate.  While you are there, I would apply for a new CA Driver's License/Real ID, if you are going to stay in Cali for a while.  If you have AAA, go to their office first, the DMV is a mess with all the Covid restrictions and the appointment system is a joke.

It tool me 3 trips to register my out of State 2020 BMW M2 Competition and my son waited 3 months for an appointment for a in car driver's test.

Good luck,

Mark92131

• Sad 1
5 hours ago, Poloace said:

been on hold w cali Dmv to ask a question for over an hour and a half. Yuck!

Are you sure you didn't accidentally dial the number for a COVID vaccination appointment?  Oh, wait a minute--for that you would have been on hold for 3+ hours, then they'd close down for the day and cut you off...

• Thanks 1

I can help NY license is ok.

If you are a AAA member try them 1st in person if they can't do it ask them what times might be quickest at local dmv.

If AAA can't do it go to the dmv get a number wait in line skip the appointment bs and don't waste your time calling.

Pink slip is best but copies of past registration with your name on them will work. You need proof of insurance do it online before you go, the insurance company will send electronic proof but do it 3 working days before you go (covid excuses). Your insurance should have your current CA address but also take a couple current utility bills with your name and address on them for proof of residence.

If the car has truly been non op and never got a ticket they may allow you to pay only non operational fees. If you have tickets during this period do not expect them to waive past registration fees and possible fines. They may give you only temporary registration and require a vin verification visit with your car to either the dmv or the chp try taking photos of the vin locations on your car they may accept these.

Be nice and appreciative because they have you by the balls (women included).

If you follow all these steps it should be quick and easy.

• Like 1

Ask if some if the back fees can be reduced.  They don't do it like they used to but when I registered my '51 GMC it had years of back fees.  I asked if anything could be done and the supervisor took off $350 worth, leaving $200.  Never hurts to ask (politely).  It's been stored in a garage the whole time, never on the street, yada yada.

I ask CA DMV numerous times to reduce back fees and they always done it for me, There doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule on fees, Doesn't hurt to ask. As long as there's no outstanding tickets on car which helps you prove it wasn't driven for all the years it was parked helps.

Can’t think of 2 worse states to do anything that requires paperwork of any kind. Still waiting for a salvage title from NY that was submitted in September . All I get from them is “Covid”. Got a Florida title while I waited .

• Sad 1
18 hours ago, 2002iii said:

I think any valid US driver's license should work for registration. Your also going to need proof of insurance before you can register it.

The real question is did you register it non operational? If not your going to end up paying a lot in back registration and late fees.

I would try and register it online if possible, CA DMV is not know for good phone service. I would also see if your family in California can go to a DMV, it's a little easier with an actual person in front of you.

FYI... regarding DMV in-person wait times...I had to get a duplicate license (thank you low-life criminal)...and was dreading going to DMV as I had heard a lot of horror stories and I had seen the lines outside.. turns out you can check the wait time online and in Laguna Hills where I live, it was 16 minutes. I couldn't believe it but turned out to be true... I had no appointment and was out of there in 30 minutes including a second line for photos...good luck...

• Like 1