Shifter lever options? IE one isn't great...

hello team

i'm sick of my shifter. i think it came with the IE 5-speed swap kit years ago. it's ugly and it's my least favourite part of the car.

It has too large a diameter for the dumb rubber-filled section to work with the accordion-style shift boot. it first split the seam on the shift boot where it attaches to the console before i hacked the top off it. stupid ugly thing.

The shifter is around the way its supposed to be, but is a long reach for reverse and generally that little bit too far away to be comfortable. ya get a sore shoulder on big drives from reaching for it. i have a custom DSSR that places the shifter dead vertical in neutral basically.

I would gladly do without the rubber-filled bit altogether, I don't rate that doughiness in BMW shifters. I don't own a welder or a lathe, or know anybody who could sort one out for me custom. I do have the steel part of an old E21 shifter without the top on it for a start to a custom one i suppose.

Is there an off-the-shelf shifter that will be a good fit? i suppose i'm after something with a similar throw to this, but angled back to the right a bit (RHD). if it's solid steel i don't mind tweaking the bend to suit myself I guess?

Any discussion or tips welcome. :)

Thanks

151142310_2568087953488496_6658445340837073793_n.jpg

Edited by Jace

When I did my IE 5spd conversion I didn't like there shifter either, I had to do some grinding and cutting on IE's shifter bracket to make stock shifter work but I like it much better

Shifter.jpg

• Like 2

Those look E30ish (and later) to me.  Maybe Zed-3, yeah.

Since Andrew's gotta be lurking somewhere nearby-

just get an earlier 2002 shifter assembly, and modify that.

It is already "Dual Shear Shitole Redonkulous"

and since the earlier 4- speed has far more travel than the 5- speed,

it becomes a short- throw shifter by default.  As you're sitting in the right seat,

you'll need to heat and rebend it (don't forget to anneal it a little, so it will bend,

not break)  but then, once you use modern bushings, you'll have originality 

AND dshsdpdpcdckplu AND a pretty nice shift feel.

t

just poking the former Ireland employee....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have the IE short shifter on my five speed, and I went with a leather boot from Kooglewerks.  Covers the whole assembly.  

Shifter.JPG

Doesn't really help with the length of throw, but at least it would cover the assembly.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, TobyB said:

Those look E30ish (and later) to me.  Maybe Zed-3, yeah.

Since Andrew's gotta be lurking somewhere nearby-

just get an earlier 2002 shifter assembly, and modify that.

It is already "Dual Shear Shitole Redonkulous"

and since the earlier 4- speed has far more travel than the 5- speed,

it becomes a short- throw shifter by default.  As you're sitting in the right seat,

you'll need to heat and rebend it (don't forget to anneal it a little, so it will bend,

not break)  but then, once you use modern bushings, you'll have originality 

AND dshsdpdpcdckplu AND a pretty nice shift feel.

t

just poking the former Ireland employee....

Hey, can I have some help here?  My Google "Toby Translate" isn't working since the power went out.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The shifter in the blunttech kit looks like a Z3 1.9l factory shifter, which is basically a factory short shifter. I dont like the plastic pivot ball on those it tends to wear and get notchy feeling.

The e36, e46 and e39 ones have a metal pivot ball and come in different lengths depending on model and transmission.

Most aftermarket short shifters meant for an e30, e36, e46 and e39 can be adapted to work in a 2002. You can get cheap Chinese ones on ebay if you want to experiment.

I have tried an Ebay one, the length from the fulcrum to the selector rod is huge so it hits the driveshaft with zero chance of working in the shift plate i have.

I just had the IE one out, and realised its already deteriorating after <3000Km

• Sad 1

The IE lever as pictured is an OEM dealer-sourced lever ..... sooooo, yeah.  If you're having issues it's going to be common with anyone running that factory lever.

As mentioned, there are a number of leather boots that would help in that aspect.  Koogle has that nice one, I'll be making one in the not too distant future as well (had some parts machined for it years ago, prior to any being on the market).

Toby .... shots fired man, shots fired, lol.

16 minutes ago, Jace said:

I have tried an Ebay one, the length from the fulcrum to the selector rod is huge so it hits the driveshaft with zero chance of working in the shift plate i have.

I just had the IE one out, and realised its already deteriorating after <3000Km

If the Ebay one you bought is one of these:s-l400.jpg

You have to use the blue adapter collar to raise the pivot point.

This should help:Z_short_shifts.jpg

Part #s:

Z3 1.9l: 25117527252

Z3 2.8l/3.0l: 25117527253

Z3 M: 25117527254

Z4 3.0l: 25117543193

Z4 2.5l: 25117543192

I would suggest trying the z4 2.5l

Or you can go to the junkyard and pull all of the manual shift boots on BMW's until you find one you like.

• Like 1

Toby .... shots fired man, shots fired, lol.

I just KNEW I could get a rise out of you- 

glad to know you're still around here!

t

it's all love...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, 2002iii said:

If the Ebay one you bought is one of these:s-l400.jpg

You have to use the blue adapter collar to raise the pivot point.

Thanks for the part numbers! 

I did indeed end up with that Ebay one. The blue collar doesn't fit into the IE shift plate, the ID of the tube used in the shift plate is too small to take the diameter of the section with the o-rings.