Car hasn’t started in over a year- advice?

Ok guys- I just had another topic

open- but I have a lovely 72 2002 in the garage that I haven’t had the engine start in over a year- isn’t advice as to what I should do to troubleshoot? It has been sitting for a while - ill Add some more gas to the tank when I get home and see it. 

but, other little steps to consider? Thanks!!

How did it run before the long hiatus? Decent?

Fresh gas, charge the battery, check the oil, coolant, spritz of starting fluid.

Turn it over and see what happens😉

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

It ran like a BEAST! I’m hoping a fresh addition of gas will bring it up to speed. I gotta learn how to do all these little tasks. This is her, by the way.

To my knowledge, I was one of the first to do this years ago- some of you may recognize her from the drives. 

Kept it relatively old school w a touch of new for the musically inclined. 

I can’t remember who on the forums was building the fiberglass enclosures for the subs back in the day- but that thing kicks ass. Really want this little thing back up on the roads!

I just fired-up my '76 after a loooong sit, with a tank full of gas from January 2020.

Cleaned the plugs (first time in 1500 mi.), made sure the battery was fully charged, and filled the float bowl with fresh gas.

Started on the first hit of the starter.....however ran like sh*t after the fresh gas was used up.

Decided to just drive until the tank was at about 1/4 full (can't stand the thought of tossing $4/gal. fuel), then filled with fresh gas. 

Ahhh, what a difference! Back to normal. Lesson learned....keep driving!

• Haha 1

In the big scheme of things, a year is nothing. Obviously, check the oil. It may take a while for it to fill the float bowl. A blast of starting fluid into the intake will help. Folks report widely varying experiences with aging gas. My gut is that in a year the gas won't be as "fresh," and you may get some amount of water having formed at the bottom of the tank, especially if the tank wasn't full and if the car was stored in a high-humidity environment, but you probably won't get varnish buildup. 

Funny thing mentioning not starting  a car in a year, Since taking ownership of my o2 in 1985, 2020 was the 1st year I didn't run the car. Wonder what the mice are up to (again)  and if the clutch is stuck on the flywheel again?  No shows to gear up for and lack of gatherings kind of squished the car fun. Photos shows what the mouse hid when chewing my efi harness causing epic breakdown coming home from Saratoga Show.

Mouseo2_4ThJuly12.jpg

1 hour ago, thehackmechanic said:

In the big scheme of things, a year is nothing. Obviously, check the oil. It may take a while for it to fill the float bowl. A blast of starting fluid into the intake will help. Folks report widely varying experiences with aging gas. My gut is that in a year the gas won't be as "fresh," and you may get some amount of water having formed at the bottom of the tank, especially if the tank wasn't full and if the car was stored in a high-humidity environment, but you probably won't get varnish buildup. 

yep...prime the carb; turn the key...

has always worked for me