Price: $300
Description:

Name: Jeff Willis

Email: [email protected]

This is a spare Getrag 240 that I have planned on eventually doing a conversion on my car, but have decided to keep it an original 4 speed.

It came from an 85 318, and I do not know the condition. I have never employed this transmission in my vehicle, but just by shifting alone, all the gears go in nice and crisp. 

Asking $300 plus shipping and it includes the clutch and flywheel. I don’t know what to ask for a 240 so let me know if I’m out of my mind.

In terms of the logistics of shipping, I can find a large moving box and help assist and drop it off to a FedEx. It’s just going to be expensive due to the weight and dimensions. In the past, I have used a company called Forward Air and they would truck it to their hub in a city near you, where you would go and pick it up. I suppose this is the same protocol for freight shippers. If you choose freight I can place the trans and components in a Home Depot storage bin and strap it to a wood crate. 

ADE452D7-33CF-466F-B101-18C97C209F8B.jpeg

70AF2B79-AF76-47DE-8FC7-2C2975F18632.jpeg

Edited by Jwillis
8 hours ago, ohgodno said:

This transmission is the 240 - it’s shorter than the 245 and is considered less desirable because it is less robust.

A reputation it has received due to the aluminum shift forks however, I am unaware of any empirical data to back up it’s rep as being less durable.

Dont abuse I mean slam every shift, it will be just fine

Edited by tech71
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think the lack of a speedo cable is over emphasized. You dont need one. Here's why:

1) GPS Speedo

2) GPS Speedo

3) GPS Speedo

For what people charge for the 245s you can buy one of these and get a new GPS retro-fit speedo. The speedo in the 2002s isn't the most accurate to begin with, and they break regularly. You would have to replace it anyways even after you bought the fancy 245 so you could run you stock speedo cable.

Also, that speedo is only going to be accurate if you have the same  tire diameter and rear end gears as the car that originally had that transmission. If you change either on your car, your stock cable driven speedo will be wrong anyways. 

With a GPS Speedo, you can change transmissions, rear end gears, tire sizes all you want and the speedo will always be accurate. 

If I had another 2002 that needed a 5-speed, I'd snatch this thing up in a second for that price.... maybe I should get a spare before everyone realizes that its the better deal 🤔, haha!

GLWS!

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Matt Andrews said:

I think the lack of a speedo cable is over emphasized. You dont need one. Here's why:

1) GPS Speedo

2) GPS Speedo

3) GPS Speedo

For what people charge for the 245s you can buy one of these and get a new GPS retro-fit speedo. The speedo in the 2002s isn't the most accurate to begin with, and they break regularly. You would have to replace it anyways even after you bought the fancy 245 so you could run you stock speedo cable.

Also, that speedo is only going to be accurate if you have the same  tire diameter and rear end gears as the car that originally had that transmission. If you change either on your car, your stock cable driven speedo will be wrong anyways. 

With a GPS Speedo, you can change transmissions, rear end gears, tire sizes all you want and the speedo will always be accurate. 

If I had another 2002 that needed a 5-speed, I'd snatch this thing up in a second for that price.... maybe I should get a spare before everyone realizes that its the better deal 🤔, haha!

GLWS!

Totally agree, I’m buying this 240 for my 69. Have a 245 in my 73 and the Speedo cable broke twice and isn’t right anyway with my diff change and 195/50/15s - planning to do the same this time but with GPS speedo from Speedhut, so all good!

Edited by rudolpholaspari2002
Typo