I'm in the process of restoring this 2002 tii (Colorado orange) with a buddy and I wanted to document it. 

Now the engine photo is dated I just don't have a new one. We've completely cleaned it out and put a new battery in it. I had to take the gas tank out because it had some rust and the fuel lines because they were eaten at by mice. So far no wiring is chewed up just stripped a bit in the engine which was an easy fix. Right now the engine is stuck so when I get a chance Im going to hook it up to my truck and drag it around a bit and hopefully that will work.  the front passenger side light started smoking so I will need to look into that.This car was my dads car and has been sitting in his garage for about 30 years so he gave it to me. If y'all have any Input that would be appreciated. I will be updating this as I go along 

IMG_0758.JPG

IMG_2452.jpg

IMG_0759.JPG

IMG_2454.heic IMG_2450.heic

Edited by The Bob Ross
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If the engine is stuck I would first spray some wd40 or your preferred lubricant into the cylinders and let it soak in overnight. Then put a breaker bar on the crankshaft bolt and try and break the rings loose from the cylinder walls. If that doesn't work you could try putting the car into 4th and rocking the car back and forth. I would only try dragging it with your truck as a last resort because you could end up doing damage to the engine and or transmission.

Just now, 2002iii said:

If the engine is stuck I would first spray some wd40 or your preferred lubricant into the cylinders and let it soak in overnight. Then put a breaker bar on the crankshaft bolt and try and break the rings loose from the cylinder walls. If that doesn't work you could try putting the car into 4th and rocking the car back and forth. I would only try dragging it with your truck as a last resort because you could end up doing damage to the engine and or transmission.

Sorry I forgot to say but yeah I tried that. I sprayed some wd40 last week and haven’t gotten back to see if it worked. I really don’t want to have to drag it but hopefully I won’t have to 

• Like 1
Just now, The Bob Ross said:

Oh cool! I’m kind of surprised there was one there... what year/color?

'72 Inka 

BTW, as a side note, the group is trying to put together a real number of currently registered 2002s in the country.  I asked the DMV for the number in GA - came back as 189 registered - years '68 to '76.  Not that many! 

Tii (4).JPG

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, tomphot said:

'72 Inka 

BTW, as a side note, the group is trying to put together a real number of currently registered 2002s in the country.  I asked the DMV for the number in GA - came back as 189 registered - years '68 to '76.  Not that many! 

Tii (4).JPG

Wow that’s beautiful! Crazy how rare these cars are!

It looks very complete, very original, and is in one of the most desirable colors!

Email BMW Group Archives and ask for their data on the car. It’s not much, but it will give you the precise manufacturing date. Their email is:

[email protected]

It will also provide confirmation of Colorado as the factory color. There is no charge for this service.

The first U.S.-spec 1973 model tii was VIN 2762630, manufactured October 6, 1972. Here it is:

When last seen, it was... much rougher than your beautiful example.

After you have the build date, let’s get your car into this forum’s Registry: we have a strong showing of tii’s, but we need lots more,

Congrats and regards,

Steve

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Conserv said:

It looks very complete, very original, and is in one of the most desirable colors!

Email BMW Group Archives and ask for their data on the car. It’s not much, but it will give you the precise manufacturing date. Their email is:

[email protected]

It will also provide confirmation of Colorado as the factory color. There is no charge for this service.

The first U.S.-spec 1973 model tii was VIN 2762630, manufactured October 6, 1972. Here it is:

When last seen, it was... much rougher than your beautiful example.

After you have the build date, let’s get your car into this forum’s Registry: we have a strong showing of tii’s, but we need lots more,

Congrats and regards,

Steve

Thanks Steve! Do you think I could get it repainted in the same colorado color? In the 90s it got hit in a gas station on the passenger side. The body work is done on that side it just doesn't have paint (as you can see from the photos)

Also i've been thinking about getting some body work done on it (nothing that is not reversible) do you think it's a good idea? again everything I would do is reversible. I just don't know if its a good idea... This photo isn't the best example but something like this but a lot more reversible. I wouldn't move the mirrors or the black paint/decals  or intercooler sense this thing clearly does not need one. But roughly similar to this. 

Screenshot 2021-01-04 143120.png

4 hours ago, The Bob Ross said:

Thanks Steve! Do you think I could get it repainted in the same colorado color? In the 90s it got hit in a gas station on the passenger side. The body work is done on that side it just doesn't have paint (as you can see from the photos)

Also i've been thinking about getting some body work done on it (nothing that is not reversible) do you think it's a good idea? again everything I would do is reversible. I just don't know if its a good idea... This photo isn't the best example but something like this but a lot more reversible. I wouldn't move the mirrors or the black paint/decals  or intercooler sense this thing clearly does not need one. But roughly similar to this. 

Screenshot 2021-01-04 143120.png

Putting aside the never-officially-imported factory turbo, which generally sells, at this time, in the $125K to $200K range, the round taillight tii’s are the most collectible sub-models, with current prices for complete, running, non-rust-bucket examples generally selling in the range of $40K to $100K+, with a few changing hands well into “turbo” territory, even well past $150K (this range includes a wide range of restored and un-restored examples).

What links the most valuable examples is originality. Your starting point is precisely where the valuable examples are: few-owner cars with lots of original fabric. The more your renovation deviates from originality, the less collectible it becomes.

It is your car, and you can do anything your heart tells you to do. But the number of complete original tii’s such as yours is quite small. Modifying yours may make you very happy, but it won’t make the next owner happy. If you must make modifications, do them at the risk of permanently impairing its value.

If you want a car just like the wildly flared and lowered example in your photo, my recommendation is to clean up your tii in the best possible manner, have the right quarter panel re-painted, and list the car on Bring A Trailer, with lots of photos and the car’s full story. With the proceeds from its sale, buy a low-rust square taillight and modify it to match your dream ‘02.

Here’s a very nice example of a ‘73 tii, selling at $93.5K:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-bmw-2002tii-10/

And there are very very nice examples out there.

This is probably not what you wanted to hear, but It’s my recommendation — and you asked for my thoughts.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also have a good look at the fuel tank, and lines, and filters and screens and make sure things are clean before cranking.

Have a look at the tech articles on this site.

Keep us posted!

Cheers,

• Like 1