Go to solution Solved by popovm,

• The Bob Ross changed the title to How do I turbo a 1973 2002 tii
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Simple answer, you can’t turbocharge an engine using the standard Tii injection pump.  There isn’t a “Turbo” cone, it is a completely different injection pump.    I would.never cut up a real Ti

My vote would be to source a replacement m10, and build it for a turbo, it would be a shame to damage a (presumably) numbers matching tii motor beyond repair, where a rebuildable m10 should be cheap a

Personally I would never try this, I would say to start with a different fueling source. The Tii is so limiting you can't even run a 292 cam and I say this from personal experience, not "Internet Myth

Posted Images

Personally I would never try this, I would say to start with a different fueling source. The Tii is so limiting you can't even run a 292 cam and I say this from personal experience, not "Internet Myth", to get it to work you would need a Turbo K-Fish cone, I have never heard of these being sold.

For best results I would suggest a M42 with Turbo, it would be easily sourced for everything required including EFI 

Here is my friend Ken's car:

IMG_6909.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
14 minutes ago, chargin said:

Personally I would never try this, I would say to start with a different fueling source. The Tii is so limiting you can't even run a 292 cam and I say this from personal experience, not "Internet Myth", to get it to work you would need a Turbo K-Fish cone, I have never heard of these being sold.

For best results I would suggest a M42 with Turbo, it would be easily sourced for everything required including EFI 

Here is my friend Ken's car:

IMG_6909.JPG

+1

Well said!

Regards,

Steve

Simple answer, you can’t turbocharge an engine using the standard Tii injection pump.  There isn’t a “Turbo” cone, it is a completely different injection pump.

I would.never cut up a real Tii for a turbo project.  If what you really want is a turbocharged 2002.  Sell the Tii for lots of $$$$ and use the money to buy a good solid chassis standard 2002 or 1600 and build the car you want from scratch. Modern EFI and turbo technology makes this a wonderful combination.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Turbo it! turbo M10s are a hoot! There is a lot of info on converting to EFI. Some of the more affordable routes use a 320 or 318 intake manifold.  There are two cheap EBay turbo headers that sorta work. or you can pay more and have one built by a company like rapid spool industries . Last I checked it was like 700$. There are plenty of guys that turbo these motors on a stock bottom end and pistons just using arp studs and good head gasket.  Since you have a TII your compression is likely a bit high....you could run a thicker MLS head gasket to lower compression or rebuild motor with lower compression (preferably forged) pistons. 

if you are on Instagram Look up skogenracing. These guys have some crazy high HP m10s on stock internals. 

• Like 1

All of this leads to the broader question of "What do you want to do with it?". That enables the better answer of what the best approach. If durability and max power, then replace engine + fuel management, etc. If vintage appeal, find an old school turbo kit for it (am pretty sure I've seen these for sale in old Roundels).

*** Mildly off topic - inserting my opinion here ***

It will never be an M3. If you want that just buy one.

I'm not necessarily a purist but it sounds like you would get a lot of miles out of finishing the stock restoration as it is (it's been in the family a while, so leave it as your Dad/Uncle/Mom/Aunt bought it). Do what others say and just buy a running squarelight car and start modding it. You will learn alot, and maybe after that itch is scratched you won't want to go turbo on Dad's old car. If you still want to, you can then more easily move over the guts and do an even nicer job on the nice car.

Putting lots of HP in the car means everything else needs to increase alongside of it. And keep in mind that, fun though it will be, it will likely never beat the Soccer moms 2015 Honda Odyssey with 250+hp. A well tuned tii (or standard 02 for that matter) is fun on its own. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, The Bob Ross said:

So I have recently acquired a 1973 bmw 2002 Tii and I’m in the process of restoring which I’m almost done with. When I finish all of that I want to turbo it. So 1 is it possible to turbo this car and 2 any recommendations for good racing turbo kits? 

You've spent much time (and presumably money) on the restoration.  Now if it is turbo'd, expect to take a $20k hit on the pocket book.  $10k loss on car value because a hacked Tii won't have any Tii value.  The other $10k is for parts (none of the existing injection pieces except for the manifold and fuel lines and tank are usable) and expertise to get it running right (rather than a crude, stumbling car that nobody wants to buy).

There are no kits that use present day technology, just the 40 year old crude stuff.

Edited by jimk
  • Like 5

if that is indeed a true tii and you want a turbo car... sell that tii and get a basic-bitch 02 to start with. It's more work, but even it today's cratered classic car market, you'll probably come out on-top. 

Now... if you have a tii clone and your serial #'s aren't matching... Then yah. Throw that motor up on the classifieds and start sourcing a more appropriate power plant. 

Might I suggest a Ecoboost, or Honda S2000 swap? 

Edited by 2002Scoob
  • Like 1

If you're set on a turbo setup I'd pull all the tii specific parts out of the engine compartment and put them in storage, build a different M10 for a turbo, do the conversion without cutting any sheet metal, have fun for a while, realize you shouldn't have changed a nice tii, then put everything back.

• Like 5

Why do you want a turbo?
Do you want more Horsepower? and if yes how many of them?

You can get 175ish without turbo.

If you want more take another car, because  it would be better not to hack this one because this is pretty much summing it up
https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/274671-how-do-i-turbo-a-1973-2002-tii/?do=findComment&comment=1456244

• Like 1