Turbo Manifolds That Mount to M10??

32 minutes ago, Mucci said:

Do you have an eBay tubular manifold or cast?

Neither.  It was made by "Boost Bros" I am not sure if it is the boost bros found on youtube.  I purchased the whole lot off someone here on the forum.  It was built for the 2002, but never installed.  I talked to the guy that had it made. Welds are a work of art and the v-bands are pretty trick.  I opted out of the computer he had for it, but took the timing stuff, 318 manifold, injector rail and some beefy injectors intercooler etc.. 

I am a techie type of person, so lots of sensors including per cyl EGT.  

5F2C522F-2244-451F-8B66-935E6F8A9645.thumb.jpeg.4bee45226a8884c3d2a35b978e38f1dc.jpeg

3F21130A-1540-4D1B-BBCA-38BA908A2540.thumb.jpeg.1f4c712aa9d5b60ce976c51a306b6bd7.jpeg

Nope, as Byron says, there's nothing stock out there that 'just bolts up and goes'.

The 'weld ell' solution's not too tough, and you get to put the flange wherever you like it.

There IS room below, but then you run into a bit of a challenge getting oil out of the

turbo reliably.

The Ford Modular head was way different, but I dunno if someone tried all the permutations

of manifolds for it (2 heads per application, and that motor was stuffed into about half a hundred vehicles.

(anything Triton, for example) 

The port shape is different.

Only the M10, M30 and Modular had 100mm spacing.

Only the M10 and the M30 had that port shape.

Only the M10 came with a 4- branch manifold.

fwiw,

t

4 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

Mike the cylinder head I think your referring to was one side of the ford modular v8 it had the same cylinder spacing as the m10 a few guys were hot to try it some years ago but I've never heard of anyone getting it running.

I feel better now--I knew I wasn't imagining it--just had the wrong Ford.  Did anyone ever do anything with that concept?

mike

3 hours ago, TobyB said:

Nope, as Byron says, there's nothing stock out there that 'just bolts up and goes'.

The 'weld ell' solution's not too tough, and you get to put the flange wherever you like it.

There IS room below, but then you run into a bit of a challenge getting oil out of the

turbo reliably.

The Ford Modular head was way different, but I dunno if someone tried all the permutations

of manifolds for it (2 heads per application, and that motor was stuffed into about half a hundred vehicles.

(anything Triton, for example) 

The port shape is different.

Only the M10, M30 and Modular had 100mm spacing.

Only the M10 and the M30 had that port shape.

Only the M10 came with a 4- branch manifold.

fwiw,

t

So what I’m hearing is a M30 turbo manifold from the 745i would have matching port size and port spacing... just needs to be relieved of a couple runners.

The Century 320i kit was made in Los Angeles. Problem like all the other kits and even the original BMW turbo manifold was always the cast iron part eventually cracking. The exhaust manifold/turbo mount is best cast and metallurgy has advanced. I remember reading about a European company making some solid reliable replacements.

4e_3.jpg

8.jpg

13 hours ago, Mucci said:

Scratch that. The 745i manifold is a weird three piece manifold with heat sink fins cast into it... and $400+

Yeah I have a whole 745i turbo motor, cutting that manifold up would be tough and closing the ends would require welding on the cast iron which is not fun. Also the exhaust studs on the turbo head are bigger than a normal m30 head. Also the exhaust port on an m30 is bigger than m10 and a different shape. I tried putting a m30 header on a m10 head to see if I could modify it to work but if I remember correctly the spacing was different because of the bigger ports and it wouldn't work without extensive modifications.

36 minutes ago, 2002iii said:

Like these.

Ah! Didn’t know those existed. Does someone sell kits?

However if I’m going to weld I’m probably going to make something that flows better than the log... I’m just trying to do things quicker rather than turning everything into a big project and never getting the car back on the road.