Hello. So I have the correct steering wheel and mirror for my car.  Found the correct seats. But I’m wondering about the grill. I know it’s all aluminum/alloy. But would the center kidney bean part be 10 slats or 8 slats for a vehicle built in early October 67. 

thank you,

Samuel Keram 

Your car should be a very early US spec 1600 (156XXXX VIN); if so it should have the more common 8 slat center grille, with silver slats.  

One of our 1600 experts should be able to tell you when the factory switched from 10 to 8 slats on the center grille, but I believe it was well before the '68 model year (which your car is).

mike

On 1/12/2021 at 11:53 AM, Mike Self said:

Your car should be a very early US spec 1600 (156XXXX VIN); if so it should have the more common 8 slat center grille, with silver slats.  

One of our 1600 experts should be able to tell you when the factory switched from 10 to 8 slats on the center grille, but I believe it was well before the '68 model year (which your car is).

mike

+1

I agree with Mike on this, well... 97% ! I think ten-slat center kidneys may have lasted until, or nearly until, the end of the 1967 model year.

And this is a great question, one I’ve never considered, debated, discussed, or read about.

The originality of any front grille, however, is very difficult to verify: they are interchangeable and — thanks to their vulnerable position — they have frequently been replaced or exchanged. And, based on personal experience 😯, I believe the kidney grille was the most easily damaged and, thus, the most often replaced. But I believe that most 1967 cars had the ten-slat center kidney. And I suspect 1968 models had eight-slat kidneys.

The following evidence proves nothing conclusively, but it’s all I could find on short notice.

VIN 1529238, manufactured June 19, 1967, has a ten-slat kidney in its Registry entry. Original? Maybe.

VIN 1560364, manufactured September 17, 1967, Gary’s gorgeous early 1968 1600-2 — amazingly original and complete at his purchase, albeit disassembled — has an eight-slat kidney in its Bring A Trailer photos (below). Original? Maybe.

If I was restoring an early 1968 1600-2, I’d likely choose an eight-slat grille.

Best regards,

Steve

911499F3-2FBF-4184-A886-A9186FA396D2.png

On 1/12/2021 at 2:25 PM, mccusername said:

Lots of information about the early 1600s on this thread on the UK 02 site. There might be something there about when BMW went to the 8-slate grill. 

https://www.02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8603

That was a good idea, Michael, but all I’ve been able to find on the subject in Anders’ ‘66 Bible is the following:

“Exterior:

- Different kidney (same as the early NK) with 10 slats rather than the later kidney with only 8 slats.
This featured on the '66 and '67 cars.“

I believe that Anders, in his excellent ‘66 Bible, was more focused on the transition from 1966 to 1967 than the transition from 1967 to 1968.

Best regards,

Steve

On 1/12/2021 at 12:19 PM, Conserv said:

If I was restoring an early 1968 1600-2, I’d likely choose an eight-slat grille.

+ 1

I did check with another owner of a US spec 1600 with a VIN below 1000 (i.e.1560XXX) and it has (and apparently has always had) an 8 slat grille.  Were I doing your car, I'd use the 8 slat grille; I've never seen a US spec 68 with ten slats...

mike

• Like 2

Ok, of my four ‘66-68 1600-2s I know for sure that my Oct ‘66 1508028 and June ‘67 1528923 both came with 10 slat kidneys originally. I’m not 100% sure whether my July ‘67 1530962 had a 10 or 8 slat grille originally since it had some rhinoplasty before I knew the car, but it had an 8 slat when my family bought it from the original owner in ‘88. But I absolutely know that my Oct ‘67 1560847 and all other 156xxxx ‘68 model year 1600-2s did, not, ever, come with 10 slat kidney grilles; they all had normal 8 slat plain aluminum ones.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2