• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting info on your 2002?

pd_55

E-mail, info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com

There are no specs, build sheets, etc, just build date and color.  If in Europe dealer can be noted.  Please add your location to your profile.

Edited by HBChris
  • Like 1

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

I seem to recall there is a "paid" service out there that will authenticate the VIN and build info in letter form,(BMW letterhead) much like you will find with Porsche and others.  I failed to follow thru much to do with the cost, it was rather pricey, and I did not see the value in it. Could even be a scam for that matter, so in the end I have likely wasted your time with this useless post.....sorry! 

5 hours ago, joysterm said:

I seem to recall there is a "paid" service out there that will authenticate the VIN and build info in letter form,(BMW letterhead) much like you will find with Porsche and others.  I failed to follow thru much to do with the cost, it was rather pricey, and I did not see the value in it. Could even be a scam for that matter, so in the end I have likely wasted your time with this useless post.....sorry! 

Mike,

The official certificate is issued by BMW Group Classic and contains 100% of the info you get in email form if you request your car’s data from BMW Group Archives, as quoted by Chris above:

info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com.

You don’t get any additional information with the certificate. But the certificate is, indeed, legit.

There are two differences:

(1.) you pay BMW money for the certificate but not for the email; the certificate was around 100 € for some years, but that might be an outdated price, and

(2.) you get an actual certificate when you pay for... the certificate; people who don’t realize you can get the same info in a free email are wildly impressed by the certificate, those who know about the free email are... less impressed. ?

Just to illustrate what a caddy bastard I can be, when I see an ‘02 offered for sale with a BMW Group Classic certificate, I think, “This seller knows nothing about ‘02’s!” I am such a bastard. ?

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

IIRC those certificates--on BMW letterhead stationery--are around $50-75, but don't provide any more information than the free e-mail from BMW Classic--just a certificate "suitable for framing."  You can get the info from BMW Classic, then create your own frameable certificate on your computer--thus saving enough $$ for some new parts.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

https://www.bmwgroup-classic.com/content/dam/grpw/websites/bmwgroup-classic_com/services-&-shop/restaurierung-und-expertise/Order_Form_Certificate_engl.pdf

Herewith I order a certificate for the vehicle listed below.
Certificate EUR 100.00 english german
Depending on the model and age of the vehicle the information may vary.
Vehicle Data
Chassis number
Please note the shipping costs.
Terms and conditions of BMW AG apply.
Germany and Europe EUR 9.95
Worldwide EUR 19.90
Please send us the order form duly completed and signed together with a copy of the verification of ownership (registration certificate, insurance certificate or contract of sale). Please note that we cannot issue a certificate without verification of ownership. Payment is by credit card (VISA, Mastercard) for which we will send you a link to our online payment system.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

If you are looking for engineering type information I don't think you will get it. I tried to get specifications and was denied through that venue (Turbo stuff). I did find out that (this was several years ago) you could make an appointment to physically visit the archive and "see stuff" (my words) and MAYBE get copies for a price. No cameras allowed IIRC.

Because they need to keep 46 year old technology a secret and they won't tell you what they actually have in the archives.

I need a guy who knows a guy,.............

• Haha 1

never understood the whole certificate thing.  why?

what does the car look like?  does it have a vin?  ok, i guess that is what the car is.  don't need to have no stinkin' piece of expensive paper to tell me what the car is.   are there fakes out there that we need to worry about?

i bet BMW/Porsche company folks have a good laugh every time someone pays them to print another "certificate".

2xM3

Nether Hoffman or later BMW USA would order custom order cars, they all had the same mandatory options and your choice of stick or auto or sunroof or not and that was pretty much it unless you had a "in" at the distributor level.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

More curious to confirm my year, original spec and options if any, as it has been updated and changed through the decades. I’m told it’s a 1974, but the records I have from the previous owners show it all over the board.

6 hours ago, Conserv said:

Mike,

"Just to illustrate what a caddy bastard I can be, when I see an ‘02 offered for sale with a BMW Group Classic certificate, I think, “This seller knows nothing about ‘02’s!” I am such a bastard." ?

Best regards,

Steve

You are simply just wiser, me thinks.  But a Benjermin does seems a high price to pay for the same info. Me, I am just cheap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1