• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

300 HP, How to Assemble Our Engines Engine Builders Chime In

Benjamin A.R.

10 hours ago, xr4tic said:

Not the latest, but the greatest M5 motor swap has already been done.

https://engineswapdepot.com/?p=20401

There we go, I just want a 4.4 twin turbo for all the shits and giggles as well as a little Gymkhana.  Now I know it will fit.  Just need to get @radwelds to fab a cage to handle the twist of the motor in a car that tiny.  Still going to build a M10 for the car I am working on currently.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, gary32 said:

I tried to buy one last year through my shop. Once I told them it was going in a BMW, they denied me, lol.  They only sell these motors to Honda based cars and they have to be in a race series with a heavily advertised/sponsored car. It wasn't as Grassroots as they claim. If I pushed hard, it might have worked but, it is cheaper to buy one out of a crashed Type R and build it to your HP needs. They are already flashing these motors and making over 400hp with stock rods.

72'  2002 turbo build - under construction...

Friend installed a brand new type r in his Lotus Elan a year or so ago not sure how or where it came from. I do not know anything about Hondas but he mentioned it was a complete dry sump motor and it was plug and play. That light weight car scoots and sounds good for a Honda.

V8?

GM performance connect and cruise e-rod LS3 6.2 liter aluminum block and heads compete from air filter to cat 430hp 422lb ft fuel injected with computer naturally aspirated CA smog legal with a T56 6 speed manual trans a complete brand new driveline for $15,600 and a 3 year warranty.LS3 E-ROD Manual Connect & Cruise Powertrain Sysem: GM Performance Motor.pdf

Edited by gary32
more details for evil
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, gary32 said:

Friend installed a brand new type r in his Lotus Elan a year or so ago not sure where he got it. That car scoots.

V8?

GM performance connect and cruise e-rod LS3 6.2 liter aluminum block and heads compete from air filter to cat 430hp 422lb ft fuel injected with computer naturally aspirated CA smog legal with a T56 6 speed manual trans a complete brand new driveline for $15,600 and a 3 year warranty.LS3 E-ROD Manual Connect & Cruise Powertrain Sysem: GM Performance Motor.pdf

You can buy them, long and short block from any Honda dealer. It's just not a dry sump HTP motor.

I put a GM LT5 crate motor and T56 trans with ecu in my 68 Camaro. 755hp/715ftlbs tq. Pulley swap and it makes 950/950. with a GM warranty, lol

• Like 2

On 1/27/2021 at 9:24 PM, ray_ said:

Benjamin, aren't you supposed to Loctiteᵀᴹ that oil distribution pipe bolt?

Hmmm I've never seen that done, I would think the resistive kinda smashing action of the crush seals would make it not an issue. I could make it safety wired if that's a common thing but not sure.

4 minutes ago, Benjamin A.R. said:

Hmmm I've never seen that done, I would think the resistive kinda smashing action of the crush seals would make it not an issue. I could make it safety wired if that's a common thing but not sure.

https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/m30-oil-distribution-tube.36055/

• Like 2

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

• 2 weeks later...

I skipped through the vid waiting for it to be driven.  I wish I could get those 30+ seconds of my life back.

So, to cheer everyone up. How about the S85 we just chucked into the M3? Fits like a glove!

m31.jpg

m32.jpg

Edited by evil02
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, evil02 said:

I skipped through the vid waiting for it to be driven.  I wish I could get those 30+ seconds of my life back.

I'm not sure whether you've got another 18 seconds to spare, but this looks like the same car (with the previous V-8 engine). 

I'm trying to remember the member's name, but can't quite pull it out of my head.  I downloaded this video on Nov. 1st, 2017.  I checked and it did not come from the What Did You Do to Your 2002 Today! thread.

• Haha 2

DISCLAIMER 

I now disagree with some of the timing advice I have given in the past.  I misinterpreted the distributor curves in the Blue Book. 

I've switched from using ported-vacuum to manifold, with better results. 

I apologize for spreading misinformation.  

With an iron block 5.3 turbo weighing around 500 lbs not including transmission, that car is now a straight line only car. I call bs on the 2400lbs, engine weighs at least 200lbs more than stock and a roll cage and bigger transmission.

There is a reason GM never offered the t5 transmission with a 350 it's because people broke them with 305s, so why would you put one behind a 383?

Edited by 2002iii