• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Current 2002 Registrations in US - Public Records Request

23 hours ago, Conserv said:

When I lived in Atlanta, I saw ‘02’s every second or third week. Now that I’m back in NYC, with time spent in New Jersey, I see ‘02’s once a year, or less.

Regards,

Steve

Steve, that is not the case anymore. Your 2002 on the road count from up north is on par with Atlanta nowadays. 

Interestingly, the number of 02s at cars and coffee type events is definitely up in the last 5-7 years also with more restored cars. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Lorin said:

Steve, that is not the case anymore. Your 2002 on the road count from up north is on par with Atlanta nowadays. 

Interestingly, the number of 02s at cars and coffee type events is definitely up in the last 5-7 years also with more restored cars. 

Where’d they go, Lorin? ? I lived in Atlanta, on the east side, less than two miles from Decatur. All the neighborhoods around us — Candler Park, Lake Claire, Oakhurst, East Lake, Inman Park, etc. — had street-parked examples, which I also ran into at my two closest Kroger’s! I guess many of them, as you say, got all dolled up and came off the streets, a la “Pretty Woman”!

Best regards,

Steve

• Haha 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I’m north of that area and I’m sure the concentration of 02s is higher in that area still, but I believe age of the vehicles and value keep a lot hidden. It’s not just 2002s I don’t see anymore, most cars from that era don’t get driven that much anymore it seems. 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 8:58 AM, Conserv said:

After my long wait, New York sent me a file, on a Staples DVD-R, and I’m still trying to open it.

I’ve tried both Mac and PC operating systems, I’ve tried three different CD readers, and I’ve tried every Mac and PC utility program I can find to open it. Mac tries to open in it Word, the PC tries to open it in Excel!

Before I send it back to them, and request it in a format I can actually open — I have doubts whether it will ever return — perhaps someone here can unlock the mystery for me:

The icon for the file has “<MHTML>” on it, and the full file name is:

Count_BMW_1966-1976_20210205_xlsx_aspx.mht

I’m so close to finding inner peace and wisdom, but I just can’t open the friggin’ file! ?

Thanks and regards,

Steve

Steve...not sure what browser you are using but you can download an extension to open a .MHT file.  At least for Chrome and Firefox browsers. 

• Thanks 1

1974 2002tii Restored (Original Owner) #2782393
2013 Porsche C4S Cab (Original Owner)
BMW CCA #23777

Steve...after posting the message above I decided just to send the extension to you but then found out that it isn't supported any longer in Firefox.  Sorry.

1974 2002tii Restored (Original Owner) #2782393
2013 Porsche C4S Cab (Original Owner)
BMW CCA #23777

6 hours ago, Lorin said:

I’m north of that area and I’m sure the concentration of 02s is higher in that area still, but I believe age of the vehicles and value keep a lot hidden. It’s not just 2002s I don’t see anymore, most cars from that era don’t get driven that much anymore it seems. 

I have a friend that moved to Duluth Georgia a couple years ago. Me and him drove his 1989 Ford F250 4x4 with a factory 460 big block and a zf 5 speed, great highway cruiser but horrible gas mileage and not good for traffic especially in a big city.

When we got to the Atlanta area the traffic increased and the speed and recklessness of drivers was appalling. Hardly anyone seemed to obey the speed limit and any other laws. 

I asked my friend who at this point had been living there for atleast 6 months about it, he told me he sees more and worse car wrecks there than he ever did growing up here in the SF bay area.

Also that the junkyards down there aren't worth bothering with because most of the cars there are totally wrecked and/or rusted beyond repair or even getting decent parts off of.

I stayed down there for a few days, the only classic BMW I saw was an 1987 L6 for sale at a used car lot, which my friend took me to see since I used to have one.

Most of the cars on the road down there seem to be only 10 to 15 years old. Most of the modified cars I saw where newer big trucks and SUV's with a few rice rockets and some ghettofied old American cars.

I would have gone to some classic BMW shops in the area but I didn't have a lot of time and it was hot and humid, so AC was a must.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MikeD said:

Steve...after posting the message above I decided just to send the extension to you but then found out that it isn't supported any longer in Firefox.  Sorry.

Thank you, Mike, nonetheless! Let me dig around and see if I can find one.

Much appreciated!

Best regards,

Steve

9 hours ago, jgerock said:

I submitted a form to the NJ DMV with a personal check for VIN history.

Interesting - I've never heard of a VIN history, but it sounds like what I would need as well. Prior to me having it shipped to Jersey, my car was in California for decades and I know essentially nothing of its history. What kind of information would one get from a VIN history? Perhaps I can get in touch with the California DMV...

73 02 Inka

05 M3 Schwarz

67 912 Light Ivory

5 minutes ago, ricsix said:

Interesting - I've never heard of a VIN history, but it sounds like what I would need as well. Prior to me having it shipped to Jersey, my car was in California for decades and I know essentially nothing of its history. What kind of information would one get from a VIN history? Perhaps I can get in touch with the California DMV...

Yes, there’s a form for that. And you don’t need to be a California resident to inquire. Don’t expect a lot, but you’ll get something! It tells you the car’s registration status, and sometimes tells you the date the car was first registered in California.

Regards,

Steve

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Yes, there’s a form for that. And you don’t need to be a California resident to inquire. Don’t expect a lot, but you’ll get something! It tells you the car’s registration status, and sometimes tells you the date the car was first registered in California.

Thanks Steve! I agree, it's worth a try! 

73 02 Inka

05 M3 Schwarz

67 912 Light Ivory

You can search California DMV for smog test history, if that interests you. It seems to only go back to some time in the '90s. My tii was last tested when I bought it in 1997, and the record is still there. Only the one test was listed. The smog test laws were changed shortly after that to make pre-1976 cars exempt from testing. Made me happy!

https://www.bar.ca.gov/services/Vehicle/PubTstQry.aspx

Edit: The 1600 I bought in 1994 has no records showing, but it is no longer registered in CA either...

-Jerry

Edited by JerryC
  • Thanks 1

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

28 minutes ago, JerryC said:

You can search California DMV for smog test history, if that interests you

Hey Jerry, thanks! I just checked the link you posted for my car (4228086), and got this information below which is really neat to see. 

Unfortunately, it looks like I need to hold a California ID in order to submit an online VIN history (I'm in NJ). I'll try to call the California DMV next week to see if they can maybe help me offline. 

Vehicle Information
STAR Certification Required Referee Certification Required Program Area
NO NO Enhanced

Test Records
Make Model Year Date / Time Pass / Fail Certificate Referee Inspection
BMW 2002 1974 05/30/2002 12:35 p.m. P EP934255C NO
BMW 2002 1974 05/30/2002 12:31 p.m. A   NO
BMW 2002 1974 05/30/2002 10:49 a.m. P   NO
BMW 2002 1974 08/08/2000 03:04 p.m. P DW939016C NO
BMW 2002 1974 07/17/1998 12:01 p.m. P DC427099C NO
BMW 2002 1974 07/25/1996 01:39 p.m. P AG077682C NO

Number of Tests Found = 6 

Pass/Fail Code Definitions: P=Pass, F=Fail, A=Aborted, R=Not Ready, 
D = Data Check Fail. The vehicle's OBD system data is inappropriate for the vehicle being tested, 
T=Failed test with Emission Device found to be Tampered. 
*A "Blank" column can also indicate an aborted test.
  • Like 1

73 02 Inka

05 M3 Schwarz

67 912 Light Ivory

RE Missouri cars, does registered mean licensed or titled.  If the definition is licensed, then I suspect that there are a few projects and parts cars out there as well.

In addition to my 73tii which is licensed, Chris has his 72tii project and a couple of parts cars, the body shells of the parts cars are too far gone with rust to be restored.

Wow, what a great idea!  I just sent the following request to the South Carolina DMV:

Good Morning,

In conjunction with a nationwide Vintage BMW community project, a volunteer from each state is requesting the number of 1968-1976 BMW 2002s currently registered, so we can get an idea of how many are still left on the roads today.  As a resident of South Carolina, I've volunteered to request SC's information on behalf of the project.

I would like to specifically request the number of currently registered BMW 2002s, which was a two door sedan manufactured by BMW and sold in the US from 1968 to 1976.  Note:  "2002" is the model name, not the year of manufacture; it indicates a 2000 cc engine and two doors.  There may be multiple variants of the vehicle such as 2002, 2002ti, and 2002tii among others, though all would have "2002" as the base value of their model data.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

I'll see what they come back with for a price.  They post their rates as such:

FOIA Rates.jpg

Tim Dennison

'72 BMW 2002 tii - Malaga,  '02 BMW Z3 Coupe Sterling Gray,  '09 BMW 650i - Carbon Black,  '15 BMW 228i Estoril Blue,  '19 BMW Z4 30 - San Francisco Red