Jump to content

Current 2002 Registrations in US - Public Records Request


Recommended Posts

On 2/24/2021 at 5:56 PM, SMM_2002 said:

BMW Count.pdf 372.5 kB · 12 downloads

 

I just received the report after 37 days of working on my patience. Missouri does not track by specific model so the preliminary report the DOR provided was by model year only from 1968-1976.  I am following up with them and will see if I can get some additional clarity i.e. VIN, body style, etc.  

 

Here is the breakdown ( .pdf attached for those retaining files )

 

1968 - 2

1969 - 2

1970 - 5

1971 - 9

1972 - 9

1973 - 11

1974 - 26

1975 - 5

1976 - 15

So...this is for ALL BMW of each year of manufacture? Only 5 1975 BMW in all of Missouri? If so and If I were in Missouri, I would own 3 of the 5 1975, but only because the 4th isn't currently registered. That's a crazy low figure. So there are like 3 2002 and 2 3.0CS 1975's registered in all of MO? Or only 5 1975 2002? Either way, it seems really really small for that model year. Especially if that counts 2002 and 3.0CS....

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@scottjeffrey raised this topic recently which got me wondering how many remain in my state (Massachusetts).  There were alot of them in the 80s when I had my original '74, but outside of a German car

I'll request California's. This is gonna be a fun rabbit hole.

In Michigan if it takes longer than 15 minutes to compile they charge you at 15 minute increments. They don't state the amount just that it's the lowest hourly rate in that dept.  Gotta love the

Posted Images

After my long wait, New York sent me a file, on a Staples DVD-R, and I’m still trying to open it.

 

I’ve tried both Mac and PC operating systems, I’ve tried three different CD readers, and I’ve tried every Mac and PC utility program I can find to open it. Mac tries to open in it Word, the PC tries to open it in Excel!
 

Before I send it back to them, and request it in a format I can actually open — I have doubts whether it will ever return — perhaps someone here can unlock the mystery for me:

 

The icon for the file has “<MHTML>” on it, and the full file name is:

 

Count_BMW_1966-1976_20210205_xlsx_aspx.mht


I’m so close to finding inner peace and wisdom, but I just can’t open the friggin’ file! 🤬

 

Thanks and regards,

 

Steve

 

 

 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RoadTripper said:

So...this is for ALL BMW of each year of manufacture? Only 5 1975 BMW in all of Missouri? If so and If I were in Missouri, I would own 3 of the 5 1975, but only because the 4th isn't currently registered. That's a crazy low figure. So there are like 3 2002 and 2 3.0CS 1975's registered in all of MO? Or only 5 1975 2002? Either way, it seems really really small for that model year. Especially if that counts 2002 and 3.0CS....


Crazy? Maybe. Inaccurate? Maybe.

 

But how often do you run into another vintage BMW in Missouri, ask the question, “What year is yours?” And hear back, “1975”?

 

When I lived in Atlanta, I saw ‘02’s every second or third week. Now that I’m back in NYC, with time spent in New Jersey, I see ‘02’s once a year, or less.
 

Regards,

 

Steve

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

One thought I just had was that with information like what the NC DMV sent me, where they just gave all BMW's from 1968-1976, I wonder if that is including motorcycles as well and how many of those there might be.

 

Steve, Try opening your mht file with a web browser like chrome or firefox, unless you already did then nevermind.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, g_force said:

 

Drag the file on the computer's hard drive, then try opening it with your browser.  

That should work.  I happened to have opened a mht file this morning that I have on the hard drive of a FAQ post.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RoadTripper said:

So...this is for ALL BMW of each year of manufacture? Only 5 1975 BMW in all of Missouri? If so and If I were in Missouri, I would own 3 of the 5 1975, but only because the 4th isn't currently registered. That's a crazy low figure. So there are like 3 2002 and 2 3.0CS 1975's registered in all of MO? Or only 5 1975 2002? Either way, it seems really really small for that model year. Especially if that counts 2002 and 3.0CS....

Probably only counts the ones currently registered for actual road use, doesn't count any that are sitting in garages or barns or outside, they might be registered non operating if Missouri has that or just out of the system.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Conserv said:

After my long wait, New York sent me a file, on a Staples DVD-R, and I’m still trying to open it.

 

I’ve tried both Mac and PC operating systems, I’ve tried three different CD readers, and I’ve tried every Mac and PC utility program I can find to open it. Mac tries to open in it Word, the PC tries to open it in Excel!
 

Before I send it back to them, and request it in a format I can actually open — I have doubts whether it will ever return — perhaps someone here can unlock the mystery for me:

 

The icon for the file has “<MHTML>” on it, and the full file name is:

 

Count_BMW_1966-1976_20210205_xlsx_aspx.mht


I’m so close to finding inner peace and wisdom, but I just can’t open the friggin’ file! 🤬

 

Thanks and regards,

 

Steve

 

 

 

Good luck Steve.... still waiting since last August for a NY salvage title for my beater

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Conserv said:

After my long wait, New York sent me a file, on a Staples DVD-R, and I’m still trying to open it.

 

I’ve tried both Mac and PC operating systems, I’ve tried three different CD readers, and I’ve tried every Mac and PC utility program I can find to open it. Mac tries to open in it Word, the PC tries to open it in Excel!
 

Before I send it back to them, and request it in a format I can actually open — I have doubts whether it will ever return — perhaps someone here can unlock the mystery for me:

 

The icon for the file has “<MHTML>” on it, and the full file name is:

 

Count_BMW_1966-1976_20210205_xlsx_aspx.mht


I’m so close to finding inner peace and wisdom, but I just can’t open the friggin’ file! 🤬

 

Thanks and regards,

 

Steve

 

 

 

I was just talking to my Bimmers Only mechanic and he suggested we get all the 02's together around here/Westchester. Now if we only had a database....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, g_force said:

 

Drag the file on the computer's hard drive, then try opening it with your browser.  


Thanks. But I’ve already tried that and I get the same answer.

 

Hmmm... maybe I tried it on the Mac machines but not the PC! 🤔 Let me go back and make certain I’ve crossed out that option.

 

Thanks and regards,

 

Steve

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Conserv said:


Thanks. But I’ve already tried that and I get the same answer.

 

Hmmm... maybe I tried it on the Mac machines but not the PC! 🤔

 

Thanks and regards,

 

Steve

 

Hmm - maybe this was NY’s way of getting you to download their special spy ware so they could learn everything you know about 2002’s!

  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All,

 

The recent activity on this thread had me looking through to see if anyone has done NJ yet. I didn't see it, so I reached out to the NJ MVC tonight. I'll let you know what I find out.

 

Ric 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ricsix said:

Hi All,

 

The recent activity on this thread had me looking through to see if anyone has done NJ yet. I didn't see it, so I reached out to the NJ MVC tonight. I'll let you know what I find out.

 

Ric 

I believe the original owner of my 73tii lived in NJ, so I submitted a form to the NJ DMV with a personal check for VIN history.  My check and form were returned with a note saying that I must be a resident of NJ to request the information.  That was over ten years ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jgerock said:

I believe the original owner of my 73tii lived in NJ, so I submitted a form to the NJ DMV with a personal check for VIN history.  My check and form were returned with a note saying that I must be a resident of NJ to request the information.  That was over ten years ago.


Other states follow the same policy, Jim. But... a FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) request can sometimes override the state’s rules and regulations, regardless of your residence. Hey, it’s worth a try!

 

Best regards,

 

Steve

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...