I've just finished some fairly extensive rust repair and am enjoying driving my 73 '02.  Overall, the car starts up well (even though it's about 30 degree F out) and runs well.  But I'm running into a issue when I lift off/go into neutral when coming to a stop (ex at a stop light). When the car is heated up, the car will stall (or will come VERY close to stalling), but will then start right back up.  I've set the fast and slow idle and the slow ideal who be giving it enough juice to keep from stalling.  Any ideas?  

-BW

Which carb do you have?  You might check the idle cut off solenoid, if it has one.  I am not familiar with the Solex carbs, but on a Weber, it'll be in front of the choke with one wire coming off of it.  With the key on, there should be power to that wire, so the solenoid pulls the pin back, allowing fuel to flow through the idle jet. 

You should be able to hear a clicking sound when touching the hot wire to the connector and can pull the solenoid out to watch it move, (if you ground the body and give it 12V positive).  Assuming you have one on your carb.

I suppose it could also be a plugged idle jet.

Tom

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Which carb do you have?  You might check the idle cut off solenoid, if it has one.  I am not familiar with the Solex carbs, but on a Weber, it'll be in front of the choke with one wire coming off of it.  With the key on, there should be power to that wire, so the solenoid pulls the pin back, allowing fuel to flow through the idle jet. 

You should be able to hear a clicking sound when touching the hot wire to the connector and can pull the solenoid out to watch it move, (if you ground the body and give it 12V positive).  Assuming you have one on your carb.

I suppose it could also be a plugged idle jet.

Tom

I have a Weber 32/36 DGAV. I'm assuming that is one of the webers that has the solenoid.  If it's bad, is it something that can be replaced?

42 minutes ago, bwint313 said:

Any input on the best float levels for these beasts?

40-41mm is for brass floats, whereas the plastic ones are something like 35mm.

44 minutes ago, bwint313 said:

I have a Weber 32/36 DGAV. I'm assuming that is one of the webers that has the solenoid.  If it's bad, is it something that can be replaced?

Some Webers don't have the solenoid.  Mine does.  You can eliminate it, but you need to order a jet holder that fits the larger hole in the carb.  Or, you can replace it, but they're kind of expensive.  Pierce Manifolds will probably have them in stock.

1) see if you have a solenoid

2) see if it is getting 12V with the key on

3) see if it is retracting the plunger/pin

4) see if the jet is clean

6) look at the distributor/timing situation

• Like 2