74 tii modern underhood AC install

I thought I would chronicle the installation of modern under-hood components in my 74 Tii. I have had the car about a two weeks now, and it came with all Behr original components installed but not working. I have converted every other classic car I have had with modern compressor, evaporator, and R134, so I have a decent amount of experience. I bought the following from coldhose, which is about 2 hrs from my house:

Sanden SD7H15 compressor ($235)

York to Sanden compressor adapter ($40)

Hose and dryer kit, including switch ($100)

10X18 condenser and brackets($62)

#6 and #10 flare to o-ring adapters

The Sanden fits perfectly with the adapter. I need slightly longer bolts for my final installation, but the adapter just bolts to the original compressor bracket. To get the compressor aligned with the tii pulley, I needed to run the bolt through the adapter plate, then add a nut, then put the compressor through. This pushed it back 1/4".

IMG_6107.jpeg

After temporarily unbolting the horn, the condenser goes in to the hole, and fit perfectly between the uprights. I made two simple brackets utilizing the holes for the horn on each side to hold the condenser. It is very solid when attached.

IMG_6113.jpeg

IMG_6112.jpeg

IMG_6115.jpeg

Cold hose sells some cheap pusher fans, but I have always had the best luck with spal, so I bought a 10" pusher fan. Made a simple sheet metal bracket for the bottom holes. 

IMG_6117.jpeg

That is it for today. I need to change the front main seal before I install the compressor for the final time and figure out belt length. 

More tomorrow.

IMG_6111.jpeg

Edited by xavier296
Change picture format
  • Like 5

Finished more today. Belt and original tensioner are installed.

IMG_6123.jpeg

Condenser and fan combo are installed.

IMG_6124.jpeg

Dryer is installed. I had two screw holes in my core support for the dryer, and the cold hose dryer bracket lined up perfectly with the existing holes. I have started mocking up hoses, so I'll pull out the crimper and get them done today.

IMG_6126.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice installation. I’m about where you left off, sans compressor. Some have said the Chinese clones are just fine vs. a real Sanden. Your thoughts? Also, you might paint your hinges black before installing the grills,  BMW thought that was a good idea to hide behind the grill, lol.