Hi guys,

I have a nice complete early gauge cluster from a Ti car that I’ve bought some years ago with some other parts. However I would like to clear some space and to sell some parts that i wont need. This cluster is one of them. Because i cant test it on my car yet, i was thinking of making a bench testing with multimeter. Is it possible and if yes, do you have any suggestions for testing the tachometer and odometer? Any common failures except the need of resoldering some spots?

6 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I stuck a bamboo skewer into the speedo and spun it that way. 

Make sure you run the drill in reverse as the speedo cable spins counter-clockwise.  The tach will need +12v to test with a dizzy spun by a drill.  

As for the gas and temp gauge, they both work by resistance, and the shop manual should give you the Ohms range for both.

mike

3 hours ago, dlacey said:

spin a spare distributor and use the dizzy points to drive the tach?

I tried it: I could only get it to work by rigging up a simple HT circuit with a coil and a sparkplug in addition to spinning the dizzy. I tried a low ohm resistor instead of the coil connected to the dizzy terminal (so tach would see some 12V on-off square wave), but that didnt work.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, dlacey said:

I tried it: I could only get it to work by rigging up a simple HT circuit with a coil and a sparkplug in addition to spinning the dizzy. I tried a low ohm resistor instead of the coil connected to the dizzy terminal (so tach would see some 12V on-off square wave), but that didnt work.

Here is a suggested circuit to work with a square wave input. I believe this is the one I set up to operate a 02 tach using the square wave output from a EFI ECU.

Tach Adapter Elect Diagram.jpg