Ignition coil + ignition relay wiring on a '71 2002

The PO did a number on the wiring to the ignition coil on my '71 project and I'm trying to sort it out. It looks like they tried cleaning up the wiring after getting rid of the ballast resistor, but didn't get it exactly right. Besides some questionable soldering that I'll need to fix, it seems like the coil would only get current during starting (when the relay is on), not normal running, with the wires as they currently are. So far, I've only ran the car with pos coil terminal directly wired to the battery, bypassing the relay entirely. So I know the coil works, although I'm not sure yet if it has an internal resistor or not, since I'm having trouble taking a resistance measurement across the terminals for some reason.  I made some diagrams too, to understand what's happening.

Should I just install a new Bosch blue coil + bypass the ignition relay completely? Or is the stronger starting spark from bypassing the ballast useful?

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1356.JPG

IMG_1352.JPG

Where does that Brown wire go from the #1 terminal on the coil?

There should only be black wires on the Neg. (#1) coil....to the dizzy  and possibly to the speed relay (for dashpot)  and/or the tach.

Your top diagram is correct.

12 hours ago, John76 said:

Where does that Brown wire go from the #1 terminal on the coil?

I think this was meant to be routed to the window washer pump -- it's paired with a black wire that's currently disconnected, and they are both quite a bit long than the other black wire plugged into the coil, so it could reach the washer pump. The washer pump + reservoir are both l gone from the engine bay, so i didn't think of this until looking at some other pictures this morning. I did find the reservoir in the trunk with a hole melted in it! Maybe from the exhaust? BTW, the car's been sitting since '88 with and had some very 80's DIY mods done to it back then -- no-name long tube headers, weber on modified stock intake, deleted body trim, body color mirrors, etc.

Also -- i cleaned off the terminals enough to get a good resistance measurement on my coil: 3.7 Ohms across terminals 1 and 15. Looks like I'm safe to bypass the relay and run it without a resistor! After I cleaned up the coil, I can tell it's black with a red plastic Bosch-embossed cap, and stamped 0 221 119 001 on the bottom. Some overspray from a PO's careless repaint 😂

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, 2002iii said:

Nobody seems to look at the articles section anymore. Look here wiring diagrams at the bottom. Also try the forum search function or search the site with Google for better results.

Don't worry -- I've been using those wiring diagrams and have been colorizing them to make them easier to read. That's what I based my sketch on up above in my original post. And the ignition coil myths article has been helpful, but I thought it'd be nice to get another few sets of eyes on this weird wiring setup from the PO.

Edited by eviction_party

Ok glad to hear someone is paying attention lol. I'm assuming some fool tried to get it running at some time and plugged in random wires because it would never run without the points connected to the coil.

I would try hooking everything up correctly and if that doesn't work then I would go with the 3 ohm blue coil and toss the relay and ballast resistor. I run the 3 ohm blue coil and haven't had any problems starting without the bypass.