Jerry,

I had to cut my down and then some.  My hub tabs were all broken off, so I had to affix with some epoxy, so make sure its setting up in the wheel correctly.  I remember I tried some spaces on the spindle to pull the wheel back, but I think it jacked up my turn signal return. 

After initially sanding down, it looked like it cleared fine so I reinstalled, then it still rubbed when I took my first turn.  So suggest you test before buttoning up.   I gave myself about 1/8" clearance all around since the clamshell isn't perfect either.  As suggested, belt sander would probably give you best results. 

Steve

Was just in garage and noticed my 74 has a hump in the upper pad, and the VIN tag is mounted "perpendicular" to the dash and steering wheel.  Therefore it doesn't show as much of a gap.  Your pad is flat, with the VIN tag mounted parallel to the wheel.  Anyone want to educate us on hump vs no hump evolution, and VIN tag positioning? calling @Conserv?

IMG_8862.JPG

The upper trim panel received its hump and 90 degree rotated VIN plate at the beginning of squarelight production, the 1974 model year.  Reason:  the new four spoke steering wheel had a larger center section and the flat upper panel exposed and unfinished part of the wheel.  I've yet to see a roundie with the humped upper panel.

• Like 2

@jerryasi I thought you were talking about the depth of the hub cover itself, not how the hub cover relates to the steering column pad. 

When I was running a turbo style sport wheel, the hub cover was rubbing against the pad. So I carefully put the cover in a vise and used a belt sander to slowly knock it down to make it fit. 

PM me separately, I might have a solution for you instead of going with the hump style pad. 

James

3 hours ago, Teelinger said:

@jerryasi

PM me separately, I might have a solution for you instead of going with the hump style pad. 

James

tell us all here, in the thread for future reference...if it comes up again, in the future, no one will have to try to find you to get your thoughts

• Like 1

I was lucky that my go to parts car just down the street is a 1974 as luck would have it, that ugly humped pad was in the back seat footwell under water, it's hanging in my shop drying out. I also think there is a discrepancy in the horn ring and contact pin in the steering column. Because I'm transitioning from a MOMO Jackie Stewart (way too small) I don't have any of the original BMW steering wheel bits. I feel like I'm the first person to install this E21 wheel. 

I had the same problem.  I found a thick wall plastic bottle that fit over the steering column.  I cut it to length and then sewed a cover out of scrap upholstery material to slip over it.  Unfortunately the car is in storage right now so no picture.