Is there a trick for reinstalling the rear sear bottom ?

Long ago I pulled the rear seats, installed seats belts, some sound insulation, blocked the gas fumes from the trunk from getting in... and did a half ass job of putting the bottom cushion back in. It keeps popping out and sliding forward when my kids use it... I decided to take care of this and.... it's a real PITA ! I cannot seem to push it in enough to lock in the metal tabs at the front of the seat bottom.. It came from this car, it was in before, so I know it's not a thickness issue... wondering if there's a trick or if I need more brute force... 

The backrest goes in first and the bottom cushion last, correct ? it's been so long I don't recall but pretty sure you cannot attach the backrest tabs with the bottom in place, so it's gotta come in last... Maybe with a big hammer !  $%#$%

73 if it matters.

3 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

Also if you haven't done it yet try just pushing the bottom rim of the seat in after shoving the bottom as far back as you can. 

+1. You really have to have the seat bottom shoved as far back as it will go so that the two spring tabs (maybe not the right nomenclature) mounted on the left and right of the bottom of the front of the seat cushion will be pushed inside of the front seat base and hold the cushion in place. Hard to describe that in words- take a look at the front of the seat cushion for a visual. 

I find the best way to get the seat in is shove it back as far as possible then try and line up the front spring tabs with the holes, then sit on cushion right above the tabs to make sure they fully seat. If you still cant get it far enough back its probably hitting the sound insulation and you might need to trim some foam from the seat bottom.

Make sure that there isn't something in the way that keeps the seat bottom from going all the way back, first. Try a little bit of grease on the lower edge of tab, lightly put your knee on that side and with a wide bladed flat screwdriver against the bottom of the tab push/hit the screwdriver in as you put full knee pressure onto seat. Be careful you don't  hurt yourself. This has always worked as the last resort for me.

13 hours ago, deschodt said:

Long ago I pulled the rear seats, installed seats belts, some sound insulation, blocked the gas fumes from the trunk from getting in... and did a half ass job of putting the bottom cushion back in. It keeps popping out and sliding forward when my kids use it... I decided to take care of this and.... it's a real PITA ! I cannot seem to push it in enough to lock in the metal tabs at the front of the seat bottom.. It came from this car, it was in before, so I know it's not a thickness issue... wondering if there's a trick or if I need more brute force... 

The backrest goes in first and the bottom cushion last, correct ? it's been so long I don't recall but pretty sure you cannot attach the backrest tabs with the bottom in place, so it's gotta come in last... Maybe with a big hammer !  $%#$%

73 if it matters.

Try the putting in the bottom first.