Metric Mechanic Engine Rebuild

Thinking about dropping one of their 2200 rally engines into my Golf 76. Be about 12K complete with installation. Car has a five speed conversion and I’m also looking to add an LSD and some suspension upgrades. Wondering how much difference to expect in performance with this hot motor. Also any other mods you would suggest? Thoughts appreciated.

If you call them and talk to Jim Rowe, he is the metric mechanic, he will be glad to talk for as long as you ear will take or cell battery will last about their products.  If you let him know what your setup is currently he can recommend any changes for best performance of  the engine.

6 minutes ago, jimk said:

If you call them and talk to Jim Rowe, he is the metric mechanic, he will be glad to talk for as long as you ear will take or cell battery will last about their products.

+1

I can’t address engine rebuilds but some years back Jim Rowe masterminded the rebuild of my original Getrag 232.

His attention to detail was awesome and he loved to talk on the phone, trying to educate me in the finer points of transmission work. What little I know about the Getrag trannies I learned from him.

I got the full meal deal from Jim 8 or 9 years ago and couldn’t be happier.

2.3L Rally engine, lightened flywheel and S14 starter. He modified the intake to match the 38/38 and he has some secret sauce recipe for the carb. Runs like a scalded dog.

I also used his proprietary short shift kit and 5 speed mount which uses the original 4 speed mounting points on the tunnel. This and the center bearing took some fiddling to get the guibo square with the transmission, but once sorted, it is rock solid.

Great customer service as previously mentioned.

On 1/4/2021 at 5:04 PM, gary32 said:

Turbo motor intercooled with efi.

I am looking down a barrel of just that. I am building my garage just so I can handle the car build.  Lots of heat, lots of wire, lots of upgrades needed, not to mention the challenges you run into with the drivetrain. 

If I were smarter I would sell the lot and go electric,  no drama , instant torque and it would run forever. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Dudeland said:

I am looking down a barrel of just that. I am building my garage just so I can handle the car build.  Lots of heat, lots of wire, lots of upgrades needed, not to mention the challenges you run into with the drivetrain. 

If I were smarter I would sell the lot and go electric,  no drama , instant torque and it would run forever. 

You seem pretty smart to me captive audience here for your turbo motor sale.

Looking forward a big handful of electric would be a great choice but go big.

Hi--

I put an MM-2200 engine in my late '73 a year or two before my accident (well, Sean Casey installed it...).  I generally liked it but there were a few quirks.  I used a weber-32/36 carb and did not see a huge increase in power or torque compared to the 0.5mm-overbore engine (with 9.3 pistons and a 121 head) it replaced.  It took a bit of tuning to get the MM-2200 details best, especially with the odd cam grind.  For a decent idle I had to retard timing a bit from optimum or my final addition was a low-RPM advance reducer, letting timing be retarded under 1800-RPM.  Perhaps I would have better comments about the engine if I spent more time at high RPM.  Also, there were a few little things like unhardened nuts keeping the valve adjusters in place.  If I needed a new engine for my tii, I would probably speak to a local engine builder or two before talking to Jim Rowe again.

Larry