'73 tii 4 spd. transmission

Summit321 123

I recently got my '02 running and took it on a drive around the block. At first it was shifting a little rough but I could get it into gear. After a few minutes it became almost impossible to shift. I drained the transmission and found that the oil was almost black, was thick and clumpy and had metal shavings that were obvious under a flashlight. The car has 67,000 miles. Should I just fill it back up and run it or there other precautions I should take.                                                                                                                                                                                               Thanks, Summit

It's not uncommon for fine metal shavings (usually tiny bits of brass from the synchros) to emerge from a tranny when draining the oil--especially oil that's been in there for a long time.  Your shifting difficulty could be one of two things:  sticking synchros (they don't like lumpy oil), or worn linkage. 

Your '73 has the early style fork and blade linkage that joints the shift shaft coming from the tranny to the shift lever.  Wear there can cause the linkage to jam.  The shift "tower"--the sheet metal bracket that holds the linkage--is fastened to the trans case with Metalastic bushings (rubber bonded to metal).  When they fail/wear, the shift tower moves when you try to shift, making it difficult or impossible to do so.  

So...check the linkage and shift "tower" for wear and disintegrated bushings, and treat the gearbox to some Red Line MTL--that stuff has almost wondrous powers to smooth out balky gearboxes...let the old stuff drain out overnight to make sure all the chunks come out.

mike

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mike Self said:

It's not uncommon for fine metal shavings (usually tiny bits of brass from the synchros) to emerge from a tranny when draining the oil--especially oil that's been in there for a long time.  Your shifting difficulty could be one of two things:  sticking synchros (they don't like lumpy oil), or worn linkage. 

Your '73 has the early style fork and blade linkage that joints the shift shaft coming from the tranny to the shift lever.  Wear there can cause the linkage to jam.  The shift "tower"--the sheet metal bracket that holds the linkage--is fastened to the trans case with Metalastic bushings (rubber bonded to metal).  When they fail/wear, the shift tower moves when you try to shift, making it difficult or impossible to do so.  

So...check the linkage and shift "tower" for wear and disintegrated bushings, and treat the gearbox to some Red Line MTL--that stuff has almost wondrous powers to smooth out balky gearboxes...let the old stuff drain out overnight to make sure all the chunks come out.

mike

This is off the a spare transmission I have in the garage. Are these the bushings you were talking about, if so do you think I'd be able to access it with the transmission still mounted.

IMG-3403.jpg

2 hours ago, Summit321 123 said:

This is off the a spare transmission I have in the garage. Are these the bushings you were talking about, if so do you think I'd be able to access it with the transmission still mounted.

Yep, they're almost visible under all the goo.  The shift tower is held in place with allen head bolts that pass through those metalastic bushings; they're a PITA to access with the tranny in place, but it can be done (I'm living proof!) with patience and some u-jointed socket extensions.  You can also access and replace the  bushings in the shift linkage itself by reaching around the driveshaft.  Again, not easy but doable.

Good luck

mike

19 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Yep, they're almost visible under all the goo.  The shift tower is held in place with allen head bolts that pass through those metalastic bushings; they're a PITA to access with the tranny in place, but it can be done (I'm living proof!) with patience and some u-jointed socket extensions.  You can also access and replace the  bushings in the shift linkage itself by reaching around the driveshaft.  Again, not easy but doable.

Good luck

mike

I gave it a good look and I think I'd have a really hard time getting in there with everything in place so I think I'll just pull the whole gearbox. I'm not in a hurry to get it on the road because its in the garage for the winter for body work and paint anyway.

• 1 month later...

I noticed that there were deep grooves and a lip on the edge of the mating surface with the clutch on the pressure plate. Should I just go ahead and replace it or is it worth asking a shop to go ahead and resurface it for me. The clutch was worn down to the rivets so I am replacing that. I also found an eighth inch of grease inside the bell housing. I am sure buildup is normal in there but it seemed excessive. There was no clear indication as to where it was coming from but do you guys have any ideas.

Thanks 

Summit

It's probably too late, but we're the metal particals magnetic or brass? What shape we're those particals? What did the goo in the bell housing smell like? Engine oil or transmission fluid?

I suspect that there is a bearing or shim going out and either the rear main seal or input shaft seals or both need replacing. ........while you are in there........

In my humble opinion, if it were me,  I'd service everything from the flywheel back to the guibo, including the pilot bearing and all the shifter linkage bushings.

First, I'd invest in a Sachs clutch kit.  Then I'd order a shifter bushing kit from whoever sells them. Lastly I'd have my flywheel resurfaced and remove the pilot bearing from the crankshaft hub.

Lastly, I'd take my transmission to a reputable and experienced 2002 suave shop. Dollars to donuts synchros are dead or dying. Sorry to be so blunt.

I'd pay anything required to have a smooth shifting  gearbox while driving my freshly painted car.  

Edited by PaulTWinterton
  • Like 2

On 12/30/2020 at 12:55 PM, TobyB said:

Also, make sure your clutch is working...

t

Yep my car has a throw out bearing issue, goes in out out of all gears with the engine off, not so good when the engines is running, a bit stiff in 1st and 2nd, so it be this also.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2021 at 7:55 PM, Einspritz said:

It's probably too late, but we're the metal particals magnetic or brass? What shape we're those particals? What did the goo in the bell housing smell like? Engine oil or transmission fluid?

I suspect that there is a bearing or shim going out and either the rear main seal or input shaft seals or both need replacing. ........while you are in there........

I think it was mostly engine oil the rear main had clearly failed. The particles were magnetic and were in the shape of filings. 

On 2/2/2021 at 12:58 AM, SydneyTii said:

Yep my car has a throw out bearing issue, goes in out out of all gears with the engine off, not so good when the engines is running, a bit stiff in 1st and 2nd, so it be this also.

I don't think the clutch was slipping it was more about muscling it into gear while running. I will replace the throw out bearing of course but it didn't look too bad. 

On 2/1/2021 at 10:40 PM, PaulTWinterton said:

In my humble opinion, if it were me,  I'd service everything from the flywheel back to the guibo, including the pilot bearing and all the shifter linkage bushings.

First, I'd invest in a Sachs clutch kit.  Then I'd order a shifter bushing kit from whoever sells them. Lastly I'd have my flywheel resurfaced and remove the pilot bearing from the crankshaft hub.

Lastly, I'd take my transmission to a reputable and experienced 2002 suave shop. Dollars to donuts synchros are dead or dying. Sorry to be so blunt.

I'd pay anything required to have a smooth shifting  gearbox while driving my freshly painted car.  

I found some good linkage kits from RogersTii and IE but am not sure what to do for trans internals. I can't find a shop near me that could get the parts and do the work. Is there a reputable supplier that would have parts available or maybe a few shops that are well known for doing good work that you could recommend?