Turn Signal Rehab of the Amber color

rstclark

Go to solution Solved by Jae,

Absent a tint or dye, an orange Magic Marker or highlighter applied to the inside of the lens will help darken a bleached out lens.  You might have to make that an annual maintenance item, but it'll work.  An amber bulb will do wonders for the signal's color when blinking...

Dunno if it'll work, but I've seen translucent dyes at large hobby shops (Hobby Lobby, etc) that are used to create "stained glass" by painting designs with the dye on plastic.  

mike

• Like 1

Yes I understand what a nice improvement it can be to replace lenses but I’m trying to retain my 1968 lenses that are euro style on a 1969  2002

The euro style ones that are out there for sale now may or may not fit ??

Regardless. I’m not paying the Highway Robbery prices being asked

I'll go with Mikes solution or something similar if a transparent tint can be found

I’ve seen Lamin-x makes some self-adhesive films in the correct color amber/red for taillight refreshing. No idea if they’ll work for your application.

The pro taillight lens restorers use a dye to refresh the red/amber bits - but I don’t know the specifics on it. Others use cleaners with sanding on both sides of the plastic if it’s just dull/pitted but not faded.

• Solution

I used krylon stained glass tangerine orange a few years ago, I sprayed inside and outside about 4 coats. Came out nice I think. So far so good with no fading, chipping, or peeling 3+ years and counting. I also did my rear amber signals as well.
66CDA01D-5F9B-4EDF-AC49-CFD3A2C63163.jpeg

3962B4A0-9032-4C1D-9FE2-D1A95632ACA7.jpeg
D9071246-E016-478C-940A-D1471EB8E38C.jpeg

Edited by Jae
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Jae said:

I used krylon stained glass tangerine orange a few years ago, I sprayed inside and outside about 4 coats. Came out nice I think. So far so good with no fading, chipping, or peeling 3+ years and counting. I also did my rear amber signals as well.
66CDA01D-5F9B-4EDF-AC49-CFD3A2C63163.jpeg

3962B4A0-9032-4C1D-9FE2-D1A95632ACA7.jpeg
D9071246-E016-478C-940A-D1471EB8E38C.jpeg

That looks great! 

Did you prep the lens before painting it? i.e. plastic polish

Edited by Vicleonardo1

Inside just soap and water, outside I wet sanded 1500 then 3000 to have the paint stick better, then buffed and polished using plastx then ultimate polish. I basically followed the steps for headlight restoration except I didn’t clear coat at the end. I felt I didn’t need too.