Clutch Squeak

routhier

Hi,
So my ,69 02 has been making a squeaking sound when you start it cold and engage the clutch. With the clutch down it squeaks but as soon as you lift it up it stops. Car in neutral gets no sound unless the clutch is depressed. It also seems like pressing on the gas pedal will intensify the sound. The sound seems to be coming from the front, and it is a non consistent squeal. Was wondering if anyone had some thoughts?
Thank you in advance.

It could be either the t/o bearing or the pilot bearing if the squeak changes when you lightly press the clutch pedal without disengaging the clutch  it's most likely the t/o bearing the pilot is harder to isolate because to provide relative motion between the 2 you'd have to disengage the clutch which brings the t/o bearing into play again, but if it's either one I'd change them both when I dropped the tranny.

5 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

It could be either the t/o bearing or the pilot bearing if the squeak changes when you lightly press the clutch pedal without disengaging the clutch  it's most likely the t/o bearing the pilot is harder to isolate because to provide relative motion between the 2 you'd have to disengage the clutch which brings the t/o bearing into play again, but if it's either one I'd change them both when I dropped the tranny.

So I think then it is the pilot bearing because when driving and I lightly rest my foot on the clutch it squeaks. (If I am reading what you said correctly). Ill just change both though for safe measures

FYI, if your  US spec '69 has a VIN below 1665200, it uses a different pressure plate and throwout bearing from later cars--and they don't interchange as the flywheel (and crankshaft) are both different.  The pressure plate has coil springs vs the diaphragm type of the later cars, which calls for a different T/O bearing.  The clutch disk is the same, however.  Be cognizant of that when you order a clutch kit.

mike

If it was the pilot bearing it would make noise all the time.

No, it would only make noise when the clutch was disengaged from the pressure plate.

Since it makes noise with a 'foot rest', I change my vote to 'throwout bearing'

Either way, time to do the whole clutch.

t

59 minutes ago, TobyB said:

No, it would only make noise when the clutch was disengaged from the pressure plate.

Since it makes noise with a 'foot rest', I change my vote to 'throwout bearing'

Either way, time to do the whole clutch.

t

Agreed, Going to do the whole clutch. Thank you all for the help