Sequential transmission

Dudeland

Xtrack, Hollinger, Quiafe, Hewland, Getrag all make seq, shift trans. Cheap alterative would be a Jerico with a sequential shift adapter can't remember who makes the gtr box

When I looked the least expensive sequential box was a little over $11k.

Edited by gary32
spelling as usual

I went for Drenth DG400 because it was recommended to me by local racer. Its more than what I expected and probably an overkill for turbo 02. If you're only thinking of sequetial for street use, then definately extend your tunnel and use 265/6 (not dogleg) which is what I'm using on my 450hp turbo e28 M535i. I swapped the factory dogleg with standard 5 speed which is more suited to turbo. Otherwise if you're thinking of track racing then look into Drenth. Here is a video of DG400 in action.

Edited by Driv3r
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, gary32 said:

Xtrack, Hollinger, Quiafe, Hewland, Getrag all make seq, shift trans. Cheap alterative would be a Jerico with a sequential shift adapter can't remember who makes the gtr box

When I looked the least expensive sequential box was a little over $11k.

Thanks for the reply, I expected that it would be a racing based solution.  I had a faint hope that something was adapted from a flappy paddle box.  I know I will blow up my 245 with a turbo, it is already kinda tired.   I am poking around the idea of using an adapter and putting in a mazda 6 speed.  $500( canuck dollars) wouldn't even pay for the syncros I need, and I can get all I can eat 6 speeds at that price.  $500 CDN wouldn't pay for the syncros on my 5 speed. 

I have already jumped the shark in terms of originality, so I am thinking a focus on reliability and driveability would be my best focus.  Not having a transmission made of glass behind a 200(ish) high revving motor would be a better long term play.  Just wondering where the shifter would end up relative to the 5 speed. 

I am kinda hesitant to pull the thing apart just in case an already rare bit of kit (like a custom head gasket) all of a sudden becomes short term unobtainium.

Parking Brake cables, suspension, pedal box rebuild and completing A/C are on the list  I have the parts in hand or in the case of the A/C all I need to do is crimp 2 hoses and charge it.   After that a pair of sport seats are there for me to rebuild,  ready to replace the good condition stock ones i currently have.  

Happy Holidays. 

37 minutes ago, irdave said:

Got to be careful watching the Hoonicorn vs. The World videos...  The Hoonicorn shifting is... intoxicating, addicting.  Even more so than the e30m3 DTM noises.

The Hoonicorn is is so fast it is kinda boring.  So far nobody seems to be able to touch it.   it is just Pop Pop Pop on the line, then bang bang bang though the gears... win ...rinse .. repeat. 

I had a 6 speed Quaife box with adapter made for M30/M10 variant motors once. 

I bought it in a big package deal with a a few S14s, S38s, and Euro S50 motors from a police department auction.

Story is the owner of this Porsche and BMW race shop was selling large quantities of drugs from his shop to fund his racing addiction. I made out like a bandit on the parts, and sold the gearbox to a racer some years back. Never got to hear if things worked out with that box, but I do know guys liked Quaife. 

• Like 1

You don't want the SMG box from the e46m3.  It's the exact same box as the manual shifter, but with hydraulic bits to cause it to shift.  It's not anything sexy.  And it's freaking huge.

But if you're looking for a cheap way into the e46m3 world, buying one with the SMG and converting it to manual is an easy way to save some money...  Especially if you're doing a swap and already have everything apart.

Edited by irdave

The DSG from the more recent 4's is very cheap these days- the adaptor costs more than the trans.

Now, since you'll have to cut the floor and adapt it (from the crappy turbo 4 it's bolted to)

you may as well go S38 on it.  

t

could see going dual clutch if he was ever unable to shift for himself.

2 hours ago, TobyB said:

The DSG from the more recent 4's is very cheap these days- the adaptor costs more than the trans.

Now, since you'll have to cut the floor and adapt it (from the crappy turbo 4 it's bolted to)

you may as well go S38 on it.  

t

could see going dual clutch if he was ever unable to shift for himself.

I am trying to not to cut the tunnel as I have a Behr a/c system and zero room to massage it. I have a 5 speed in it now. Would I need more room than that ?