• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well what a Boneheaded thing to do....

jrhone

In a rush...alot on my mind...backing up from a different parking spot than I usually park in at work...and BAM...yup into a pole....

Sooo....anyone got an early bumper without the rubber strip?

63028537677__4712DB50-D597-42C1-BD3A-3AD9B4645611.jpeg

• Sad 12

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

23 minutes ago, dlmrun2002 said:

If your trunk floor is ok, you got lucky for the most part. Now if that was a plastic bumper, it might be totaled..lol

dlm ny country

Lucky that its mostly the bumper...slightly pushed panel that should pull out and a bit of paint....

19 minutes ago, esty said:

you only need a center section

True Esty!  Or it may be the excuse I needed for a nice new shiny Stainless bumper...

Edited by jrhone

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

Not boneheaded. I am now too dependent on my backup sensors and cameras with my modern rides.  Do you think you need another trip to Los Panchos? 

I would maybe get a new stainless bumper from Blunttech etc....

License plate light replacement from Ireland Engineering....

Edited by Vicleonardo1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty but runs. Just like me. 

Bummer...guess it could have been worse.  I always find it difficult to back up into my garage, no power steering and small driver mirror, none on passenger side.  Anyone mod a backup camera into their 02 yet? 

License plate light may be harder to source than the bumper center!

Los Panchos.  Yes.  Also the plan was always to do the euro lights in the bumper amd remove the US license plate lights. 

2016 BMW 535i M Sport

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

9 minutes ago, jrhone said:

Los Panchos.  Yes.  Also the plan was always to do the euro lights in the bumper amd remove the US license plate lights. 

Euro lights also available from Ireland Engineering.. 

I hate it when they move those poles on me.... completely sucks... 

Edited by Vicleonardo1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty but runs. Just like me. 

We all have momentary lapses, so don't be too hard on yourself.  The day I bought my all-original, lowered E30 318is--I pulled into the DMV parking lot to transfer the title and knocked the chin spoiler off when I pulled into the parking place and hit the bumper block.  So I know how you feel.

The US style center bumper section (no license plate light holes) is (and has been) NLA from BMW for some years, in both the plain and punched for rubber strip varieties.  However, the end pieces are still available. 

And if you don't mind the look, you can use the rear bumper brackets from a '73 to move the bumper a couple of inches away from the body so a low speed contact like yours would just bend the bumper and not the bodywork.  I further reinforced my '73's bumper bracket by making a couple of 1/4" thick steel plates to fit between the bumper bracket and the body, held in place by the bumper attaching bolts.  That spreads the load in a low speed encounter from just the bolts to a 4x6" piece of heavy steel.   

When my '73 was rear-ended a few years ago, a shop called Knox Chrome in Knoxville TN (now sadly closed) straightened and re-chromed my rear bumper center section--did a great job with a two week turnaround.   I'll bet there are still some bumper shops in S. California that straighten and re-chrome bumpers.   

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

8 hours ago, Steve Tochi said:

Bummer...guess it could have been worse.  I always find it difficult to back up into my garage, no power steering and small driver mirror, none on passenger side.  Anyone mod a backup camera into their 02 yet? 

Someone was talking about it and they were mocked for thinking such a thing... :(

• Haha 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.