Beltline Trim Issues

CARPENTER 02

Go to solution Solved by Jae,

Hello,

Does anyone have a solution or suggestion for fussy trim clips?

I'm working on the passenger side Beltline trim and the leading edge clip will not stay in the door. The hole in the door appears to be too large. I would use a clamp instead but there doesn't appear to be access due to the door hinges. 

IMG-2460.jpg

IMG-2461.jpg

It uses those “H” clips that has the push center so that the other end going into the sheet metal expands once the center rod is inserted. You would need to remove the belt trim, push in the clips to the holes first, then sliding the trim in.  There should be a cut out at the inside end of the trim to this specifically. 

6 minutes ago, Jae said:

It uses those “H” clips that has the push center so that the other end going into the sheet metal expands once the center rod is inserted. You would need to remove the belt trim, push in the clips to the holes first, then sliding the trim in.  There should be a cut out at the inside end of the trim to this specifically. 

I’m an idiot.   Here I was trimming off the  rod portion of the H clips. Are they meant to be tapped in to create expansion? Do you use a small punch set? 

Thanks for your helpful advice!

• Solution
7 minutes ago, CARPENTER 02 said:

I’m an idiot.   Here I was trimming off the  rod portion of the H clips. Are they meant to be tapped in to create expansion? Do you use a small punch set? 

Thanks for your helpful advice!

Correct, the rod is pushed in flush and is used for expansion of the clip to the sheet metal. I used a tiny mallet to help push it in.

Edited by Jae

7 minutes ago, 7502 said:

I did the exact same thing on a set of trim for my Karmann Ghia a few years ago!

Well that makes me feel better :). Now I have to be trimless until a new batch arrives. I'll try to get around to posting a "How to not be an idiot installing trim clips" post to save others the aggravation.