Issues With New Sunroof Gasket Installed By An Idiot Vendor

Captain Manly

It looks like it was damaged by a buffing wheel or some other tool that had some abrasive material.  It's most evident on the sides.  My replacement is over 20 years old and it's just starting to show wear.

I would say that the complete seal should be replaced and it can only be done by removing the sunroof panel.

Your panel also needs adjustment.  Evident scratches on the sunroof.

The scrape marks on the sunroof sliding panel are probably the result of a misadjusted panel--it's too high in the back and is hitting the underside of the fixed portion of the roof as it's cranked open.  There are a couple of adjustments that can remedy that--and you don't have to remove the sunroof panel to make the adjustments--just the upholstery panel that's clipped to the sunroof panel's underside.  

If you can't find instructions on the FAQ, PM me--I did a column on R&R-ing the sunroof panel to replace the weatherstripping, and adjusting the panel's height.

cheers

mike

• Like 1

• Captain Manly changed the title to So Tell Me Is This Something Normal About This, Please!
8 hours ago, Captain Manly said:

Need to know the Volvo/VW source contact in formation please.

Mike in Ohio, it's warm here in Dallas, possible road trip down here. Will pay in beer and cheese fries.

I'd like to know a source for Volvo weatherstrip too--I think the pieces meant for a VW would be too short; but those weatherstrip pieces were also used on 70s Audis--and they came in black as well as grey.

And...as much as I'd like a road trip to Texas, it would be much easeier for me to send you the column so you could learn this yourself.  Or...presuming we have a Mid America event in 2021, I'll be glad to take a look at it for you there.

mike

• Captain Manly changed the title to Issues With New Sunroof Gasket Installed By An Idiot Vendor