245 Transmission: Gasket? Sealant? Neither?

Getrag 245

What goes between the bell housing and the input cover, i.e., the two cleaned surfaces shown in the photo?  Some sort of some kind of a thin "paper" (?) stuff or sealant (hard to tell; hard to remove) was used previously.  I cannot find a commercially available 6-bolt-hole gasket for this purpose.

Thanks.

Larry

IMG_1919 2.jpeg

You can do it without a gasket but you need to compensate for the thickness to preload the end float on the bearing. There should be shims in the cover that contact the bearing.  You want 0.002- 0.0025” of compression.  Easiest way to check it is assemble it dry and tighten the bolts then loosen them, check the gap between the case and cover with a feeler gauge.  Add or subtract spacers until you get the right gap. 

Ace and Pre, thanks for the comments and suggestions.  Yes, there is a shim just like the one in this previous post (below), two lips and all.  I plan to reassemble just as it was and check the fore-aft play.  Hopefully, all is copacetic.  I was thinking I needed a gasket.  However, you guys state I don't need one, a gasket is not shown in diagrams, and I cannot find one for sale - I can take a hint from the Automotive Universe - you don't have to hit me with a brick...

Regards,

Larry

The factory blue book calls for loctite 573 to seal case sections together. You can also use loctite 574 which is the same stuff but cures faster. Don't use RTV it can get inside the transmission and cause problems. Gaskets are available but not recommended unless you have large leaks.