My current tii dilemma

Been there, done that.  My '72 tii was decently sorted and I'd done a LOT of work.  In retrospect, probably would have been a good idea to simply pull the engine and Kfish and set it aside run the hotrod m10 I built with carbs or EFI- because I'd already done so much with the car.  Instead I sold it and bought a hotrod project car part way through.  Not necessarily a bad thing, but completely wasn't necessary.

As mentioned, talk with Patrick and make sure your car is running properly and drive some others.  Spare engine takes up very little room...  And with the engine and kfish sitting there there's no loss in value.

Add on- if you're used to modern, fast cars, everything old feels slow.  I went from s54 to s14- it took a while to recalibrate.  Just sayin'.  But now it feels pretty good, even up here at elevation.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, kbmb02 said:

It is possible that a change in diff gearing and a close ratio gearbox (not your typical O/D 5 speed) might get you to where you’d like to be. -KB

+1

If you have a dogleg C/R Sport Gearbox instead of an O/D and a rear axle with 3.64 or 3.9 and your car is sorted it should have a good setup.
Your wish for 175hp at the wheels is imho too much for reasonable (non turbo) tuning of an M10 - Schleppleistung (transl?) for a 2002 with M10 is around 45 hp @6500.
For 175-185 at the crank there is an easy (but not cheap though very nice) fix. Getting one of the Alpina A4 repops puts you around 5k€ + pistons+ cam+bore/hone+valvejob+other overhead ~all in you're around 8-12k€ (depending what you can do yourself) with 175-185 at the crank and MFI.

My car has 180hp at the crank and I've not felt an urge to get much more. On small twisty roads I can easily keep up with 964s and 993s only when it comes to faster roads with higher speeds I have a lack of aero and rubber (185/70) to keep up

Edited by uai
  • Like 5
7 hours ago, CoastalCrush said:

If it were a stock car I’d say keep it stock buys it’s not. So go to town! 

+1

In my opinion, removing and storing either (a.) the mechanical fuel injection or (b.) the entire engine is far less detrimental to a ‘72’s “tii” value than installing fender flares or de-trimming a tii. Your car’s highest current value is not as a purist’s delight, but as a restomod, with or without the Kugelfischer pump. I believe you’re over-thinking the “72 tii” value thing for your car and you should try either a new head — hot cam, headers, dual Webers or modern fuel injection — or a replacement built engine.

The prior owner’s claim of a “factory rebuilt” engine does not generally conform to “matching numbers”: factory rebuilt engines had their engine numbers ground off. Maybe he meant “rebuilt with factory parts”, “rebuilt in stock configuration”, or simply misunderstood the engine’s history. Compression and leak-down tests could help you determine the engine’s current health.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1
20 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

I never get tired of looking at that set up.  Beautiful.  

I'd say it's the absolute ultimate upgrade back in the day.  There's original and then there is period original.  You check both boxes and then some.

I look forward to seeing that in person someday.  When we can travel again.

Ditto Paul.

Sadly might not be till mid-'21ish....

Stay safe and healthy. 

• Like 1

I have reached an age (or attitude?) where absolute speed doesn't matter to me anymore. I sold a 500HP somewhat exotic sports car because, well, it seemed like a complete waste to own and drive on the street. Seriously, what could I do with that power? Floor it on an on ramp? Play red light challenge with some 20 year old in a Subie or 60 year old with a Ferrari? I tracked it once....lotsa of money to crumple up into the concrete. Fun yes.

I've come to appreciate 4's, especially 16 valve 4's. Sure I like my old 911/6, but it's hard to challenge on the street too. I do sometimes. My tii? Just flat out fun all the time.

I guess the point is, buy or build the cars that provide YOU with the most fun. For me, that doesn't translate into high speed anymore. Just fun, safe on the street speed.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and opinions.  Truly grateful for this community.  I think my first step is to make sure the car is actually running correctly first before I get to carried away and then determine what the next move is. 

Thanks again - I'll keep you guys posted :)

• Like 1

72 tii with CR gearbox (1;1 5th), Ireland Sways, Bilsteins and the engine tuned is all you should need.  I agree with someone close to Stuttgart.  My setup with CN36 rubber.  Just installing ventilated Rotors up front.  Keep it balanced.

Cheers to all and Happy Thanksgiving to the Yanks ( I am one ).

Rusty

• Like 1