• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Current status of LSD installs.

Harv

On 11/18/2020 at 2:14 PM, Harv said:

I currently have a e21 3.91 LSD but thinking I’d like the 3.64 better. 

I would highly suggest trying a cheap open 3.64 before investing in a 3.64 LSD, I ran an open for 2 weeks in my Tii 5 speed to try and Hated it, the car was noticeably slower and ran warmer on the freeway 

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

17 minutes ago, irdave said:

Not me buddy.  Sold my s54 cars because I didn't want to go that fast.  Got the JBR flywheel going in, along with the Haltech and the new airbox, probably new bigger injectors.  I think that'll be enough for a while.

Could you imagine 350 NA in a 2002?  He says he's getting 373 at the wheels...  With just s14 weight...

I drove a 600hp 1st gen GTR 5sp, 4.10, AWD RHD. That will get your attention.

:D

Agreed tho, my car is fast enough. It's just not "fast" anymore.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

9 hours ago, ray_ said:

:D

Agreed tho, my car is fast enough. It's just not "fast" anymore.

That was where I got to with the s54.  Bad place to be.  But I come from sport bikes, and gave those up, too, for the most part.  I don't know what's wrong with me. 

Oh, and we had a conversation the other day about "fun" versus "exciting."  I don't need my stuff to "thrill" me anymore, being fun is just fine.

• Like 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

11 hours ago, irdave said:

probably new bigger injectors.

Don't worry about those until we run it.  They can be changed later on your Haltech setup without any re-tuning or any mechanical changes.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

14 hours ago, TobyB said:

How about a 3.45 and a Laycock- DeNormanville?

t

you're never going to push a 2002 over 140, so why gear for it?

VOLVO-240-OE-J-TYPE-Laycock-Overdrive-Transmission.jpg

I've got one of them on the shelf, donated from a friend who was breaking a Triumph 2000 - thought it would be a nice addition to an m2 with the CR direct 5th (after driving a sebring replica healey with one fitted - flat out OD engagement in 2nd 3rd and 4th, giving you essentially 7 forward gears). Fun

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

• 3 years later...

Has anyone installed a Wavetrac, yet?

That seems like the logic direction now that I have heard of them thanks to an email to diffsonline.com (I missed the references on the faq)

As far as gearing... I'm actually thinking 3.45

With a 245/5 and ~ 270 crank HP. image.thumb.jpeg.da4a912eade67d49d58633412144f3f5.jpeg

1976 2002 - Segundo

1936 Ford pickup hotrod, 2010 Honda Ridgeline

Segundo blog

Paoli (PA) Car Show - Oct 5, 2024

The OD and the 3.45 will have you pretty hard in the boost at under 2k to do any sort of a 60 mph hill climb.

5th gear becomes essentially an rpm- reducer rather than a useful gear.

Which might not be an issue, but you'll want to build and tune so that you can use torque, and that usually means

a smaller turbo that falls off the cliff before you're at an M10's redline.  Or a VNT- which would be super cool!

As to Wavetrak, yes, they're fine.  They have gotten pretty darned expensive, last I looked.  But they've

been around a long time and are solid.

It's too bad MFactory isn't doing a small- case spool- I've been wanting to try their stuff for a while, now.

t

• Thanks 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2023 at 12:58 PM, TobyB said:

The OD and the 3.45 will have you pretty hard in the boost at under 2k to do any sort of a 60 mph hill climb.

5th gear becomes essentially an rpm- reducer rather than a useful gear

I'm actually aiming for a daily driver, not a race car, so boost early is good. Hopefully I can control the turbo to keep the tires planted. And, I'm looking for 5th gear to be for highway cruising. Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong, but seems consistent with my thinking.

Wavetrac seems to be showing clear support the 2002 at SEMA.

image.thumb.jpeg.ef4d1b18e29a3afd3eb773bcda1fa76a.jpeg

• Like 2

1976 2002 - Segundo

Segundo blog

On 12/30/2023 at 11:10 AM, JQ02 said:

I'm actually aiming for a daily driver, not a race car, so boost early is good. Hopefully I can control the turbo to keep the tires planted. And, I'm looking for 5th gear to be for highway cruising. Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong, but seems consistent with my thinking.

Wavetrac seems to be showing clear support the 2002 at SEMA.

image.thumb.jpeg.ef4d1b18e29a3afd3eb773bcda1fa76a.jpeg

See the footnotes on the Wavetrac notes about the side bearing flanges.  The problem with fitting an LSD differential in an open case has been discussed on here.  Also the output shaft retention may need the wire spring method and so the center bolt and clip ones will need some work to use.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

1 hour ago, jimk said:

fitting an LSD differential in an open case has been discussed on here

Thanks @jimk  I've read everything I can find (except one deadlink of a post from Andrew that would probably be good reading. I would definitely have a pro do the work, but I'm not sure who that would be.. maybe diffsonline (I'm going to reach out to them)

I'm confused about the footnote on the autotech page relative to your comment:

OEM open differential (flange mod required, or use OEM LSD flanges)
OEM LSD differential (can reuse OEM LSD flanges but OEM open differential case or side covers required)

That the Wavetrac wants an open diff case, seems contrary to 'fitting an LSD into an open case' I guess I have a lot more to learn to make sense of this.

1976 2002 - Segundo

Segundo blog

50 minutes ago, JQ02 said:

That the Wavetrac wants an open diff case, seems contrary to 'fitting an LSD into an open case' I guess I have a lot more to learn to make sense of this.

The difference are the side covers number 7. Makes sense. But does someone know the Flange mod that is needed? spacer.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JQ02 said:

OEM open differential (flange mod required, or use OEM LSD flanges)

OEM LSD differential (can reuse OEM LSD flanges but OEM open differential case or side covers required)

= The setup you're starting with.

*That the Wavetrac wants an open diff case, seems contrary to 'fitting an LSD into an open case' I guess I have a lot more to learn to make sense of this.

Something to clarify this, since "open diff case" is misleading.

There was only one 114 (AKA e10) case.

The standard carrier and the incredibly rare LSD carrier came in the same case, and used the same flanges. The LSD was narrower, so it required a side cover that moved the bearing race farther into the case.

Later LSDs used a fine spline flange (e21, e36 318i), so I'm pretty sure Wavetrac is saying your original flanges, not fine splined, isn't compatible with their carrier. The OEM LSD that they're referring to isn't the LSD that was offered during the 114 era, they are referring to the late 6 bolt e21 LSD that most people use. The early e21 LSD carrier that shared the same 4 bolt case as the 114 is much narrower than the later e21 LSD carrier.

*I think whomever wrote the tech notes for Wavetrac made it a little confusing to people who don't know all the inandouts of LSD compatibility. What they are saying is to fit their unit, you have to do the same thing as you'd have to do with a late e21 unit, which is to have the right combination of case/side cover/flange.

What they are saying about needing the "open diff case" is that the LSD carrier they offer is like the later e21 6 bolt LSD carrier, which is wider than standard, but still probably needs the case to be clearanced to get the carrier in, like the late e21 carrier. If you have the late 6 bolt case, it will drop right in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1