Current status of LSD installs.

You can install a Quaife QDF4N ATB diff in a 2002 or 4 bolt side cover e21 case using what ever ring and pinion ratio you want.  You will need the side bearing carriers #33111200682 as well as a set of late "clip in" style output shafts.  

Edited by Preyupy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, Harv said:

I could have sworn that someone somewhere was offering a Quaffe LSD in the early 2002 case.

I did post one on the FAQ some time ago but sold it last year.  I do still have two Quaife pumpkins for the e36 that would also work.  They are both new, unregistered.  PM if interested.

• Like 1

I replaced the E21 LSD 3.91 pumpkin with a Quaife (from Hal).  Transferred the ring gear to the Quaife and bought new carrier bearings.  Made shims from shim stock from McMaster, set the bearing preload and backlash.  Sold the LSD pumpkin and recouped part of my upgrade cost.  The E21 unit was a salvage yard take out and was ready for a new clutch pack, so it was either buy my happy parts or put money into new clutches.   I didn't mess with the pinion bearings.

I haven't had it out with one wheel on gravel, so nothing to report there.  And I have no desire to go back to a 3.64 ratio because it was a dog before the LSD was installed.

So now I'm as happy as someone with a new steering wheel.

33 minutes ago, jimk said:

I replaced the E21 LSD 3.91 pumpkin with a Quaife (from Hal).  Transferred the ring gear to the Quaife and bought new carrier bearings.  Made shims from shim stock from McMaster, set the bearing preload and backlash.  Sold the LSD pumpkin and recouped part of my upgrade cost.  The E21 unit was a salvage yard take out and was ready for a new clutch pack, so it was either buy my happy parts or put money into new clutches.   I didn't mess with the pinion bearings.

I haven't had it out with one wheel on gravel, so nothing to report there.  And I have no desire to go back to a 3.64 ratio because it was a dog before the LSD was installed.

So now I'm as happy as someone with a new steering wheel.

Needs 2.5

šŸ˜

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

@fastricky What's your engine output like?  I generally think 3.64 for 4-speeds and 3.91 for 5-speeds.  I'm pretty sure even my 130ish HP would have a pretty tough time getting out of it's own way in 5th with a 3.45 rear end. . .

The engine was rebuilt but to stock spec more or less, pulls with no trouble and compared to the stock diff is slightly slower off of the line but like I said now I can ride 1st gear longer (5-speed 1st gear is a stump puller) and IMHO works better overall.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, ray_ said:

I ain't disagreeing.

:D

Not me buddy.  Sold my s54 cars because I didn't want to go that fast.  Got the JBR flywheel going in, along with the Haltech and the new airbox, probably new bigger injectors.  I think that'll be enough for a while.

Could you imagine 350 NA in a 2002?  He says he's getting 373 at the wheels...  With just s14 weight...

Edited by irdave