• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiring diagram needed - help!

Stein-man

Rob-

The thin grey wire is a +12V feed to the turn signal switch for the 'Clearance Lights' - only hot when the ignition is OFF.  My 72 2002 had this feature.  You can light front and rear parking lights on one side of the car with the turn signal switch.

There are several things that work without the key, these will be powered by a red / white through the fuse box, things like the dome / interior light, emergency flashers, and parking lights work without the key or key off. The power for these fuses will be a red wire - probably from the ignition switch terminal 15.

DIN 72552 standard indicates what each terminal number means - it can help you connect the wires to the ignition switch correctly.  The P is probably for Parking lights - 'Parklicht' in German. I suggest that is where the grey wire goes to power the clearance lights.  Not sure about the L.  The others should be easy with a continuity tester by turning the ignition switch to the various positions and seeing which ignition switch terminals connect to each other.

The items that work with the key to 1 are 'accessories' like the radio.

Items that work with the key to 2 are basically everything else like wipers, horn, turn signals, brake lights, headlights, etc.

Starting (key to 3) disables the accessories and other things to make maximum current available for the starter and the coil.

Here are some DIN designations:

P = Park lights (grey wire - hot with key OFF)

30 = Battery HOT (+12V) direct from Battery (fat red)

15 = +12V from ignition (unswitched) to other consumers (red)

50 = +12V to Starter and coil (black wire) (mine had a yellow stripe)

Continuity testing will allow you to connect these wires when you ID the terminals.  Red wires (the two terminals that are married?) will be the 'common.' 

The terminal that is connected with red is likely for the following wires:

grey - with the key to 0 / OFF (clearance lights, via the turn signal switch)

purple - with the key to I (Accessory)

purple and green - with the key to II (Run)

green and black - with the key to III (Start)

This should get you there, but if I have anything wrong I am sure to hear about it!  I have a complete wiring harness in the garage from a square tail, should be similar / nearly identical. 

Sounds like you are on your way!

Andy

Andy the tail light guy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"  [mailto:mobrighta@comcast.net]

Lighting Upgrades for E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back
Tail Light upgrades keep them off your tail, out of your trunk;
Headlight film keeps your 'eyes' from being scratched out or broken.

Hi, Andy -

Oh, my, I will have to re-read your post a bunch of times to totally absorb it.  Sounds like you have been there, done that enough times.  Thank you for your input!  I believe I have the ignition switch wired up correctly.  If only I could get a piece of paper that lists all the 90-some components, soldering locations, et cetera, with numbers that actually match up with my nice diagram!  My list shows that the ignition switch actually is something else entirely. 

- Rob

VespaGuy -

Thanks so much, though I have the ignition switch done to my satisfaction.  Is your graphic part of a larger chart?

The wiring diagram I'm using is this one: USA '72 tii is here: http://www.2002tii.org/diagrams/bmw2002tii-usa-mod71.pdf

Not sure where I got the identification chart for the 90-some things on the chart, but it says at the top "1972 BMW 2002 Tii", so I thought that it might be right, but it's not even close, sadly!

- Rob

Perhaps this will help in conjunction with the diagram. This is from a '72 Tii. A '74 is not too much different. I made this along with the lengths in preparation of making a new harness.

It took me dozens of hours to do.

The fuse box entries proper are left up to you, but the connections are found within the "From" and "To" columns.

Note: As with ALL Tiis, the fuel pump wire should be increased is size as the OE has too much voltage drop in order to sufficiently power the pump. A 10 Ga. AWG should be sufficient. You don't need to increase the gauge of the Brown ground as it is short and can handle the load.......but advisable to make a new wire there.

1972 BMW 2002 Tii Wiring Codex.xlsx

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
On 11/18/2020 at 8:09 AM, AustrianVespaGuy said:

I swear I post this weekly and need to figure out how to sticky it or something, but no matter.  The BEST place for the exact, correct diagrams for each individual model year is here:

http://www.2002tii.org/kb/246

Find the one under which your model/region/trim/variant falls and download it.  When you open the downloaded pdf in a real pdf viewer (not just in the browser), you'll see that they have bookmarks for identifying all of the numbered components.  They are all B&W though, so you need to make sure to read them carefully.

For Squaries, there's a nice color one available here, but it's a bit 'generic' and is missing many things like the emissions junk that changed some from year to year:

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/articles/technical-articles/electrical-and-ignition/2002-wiring-diagram-color-coded-r289/

Prospero's Garage sells *some* nice color diagrams as well, but I don't think they cover quite all of the models.  Might be worth checking out though if you're really after a colored one:

https://colorwiringdiagrams.com/t/1600--2002

For those specific ones mentioned thusfar in this thread:

USA '72 tii is here: http://www.2002tii.org/diagrams/bmw2002tii-usa-mod71.pdf

USA '68 1600 6V here: http://www.2002tii.org/diagrams/bmw1600-2.pdf

or 12V here: http://www.2002tii.org/diagrams/bmw1600-2-12v-usa.pdf

USA '76 here: http://www.2002tii.org/diagrams/bmw2002-usa-1976.pdf

Unfortunately, all the 2002tii.org links are resulting in 404 Page Not Found errors right now.  Is anyone aware of another source to download the wiring diagrams?  Right now I'm trying to diagnose some electrical issues on a 72 carbureted car (built 9/15/71) - fuse 12 keeps blowing, giving us no brake lights, and we're having blinker issues too.  Thanks!

1975 2002 Unknown Blue over Nylon Brown

1988 M3 Alpine White over Natur Tan

2004 ZHP Mystic Blue over Black Alcantara/cloth

1968 Mustang Sprint Edition Meadowlark Yellow over Parchment (for sale)

42 minutes ago, Dominic Germana said:

Unfortunately, all the 2002tii.org links are resulting in 404 Page Not Found errors right now.  Is anyone aware of another source to download the wiring diagrams?  Right now I'm trying to diagnose some electrical issues on a 72 carbureted car (built 9/15/71) - fuse 12 keeps blowing, giving us no brake lights, and we're having blinker issues too.  Thanks!

Here is the cleanest one I have USA model.

BMW 2002 USA 12Volt 12 Fuse RoundTailight.pdf

Edited by jimk
Grabbed the wrong file first time.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Thanks for the suggestion Rob.  I actually figured out the strange intermittent fuse problem today.  The wiring diagram was invaluable in tracking it down.  It turned out that the hot terminal of the reverse light switch was unplugged, and when it bounced around and touched the transmission case it would short to ground.  I squeezed the terminal so it has a nice tight fit, popped it back on, problem solved!

There is still have one strange behavior with the turn signals.  With fuse 12 back in business, the blinkers work, however, the parking lights turn on (solid, not flashing) whenever the blinkers are activated...  Also, the dash indicator light only flashes once instead of continuously with the blinkers.

1975 2002 Unknown Blue over Nylon Brown

1988 M3 Alpine White over Natur Tan

2004 ZHP Mystic Blue over Black Alcantara/cloth

1968 Mustang Sprint Edition Meadowlark Yellow over Parchment (for sale)