• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiring diagram needed - help!

Stein-man

Hi, All -

When I started restoring my '72 Tii, I knew I would need a good wiring diagram.  I found a very nice on on ebay - large format, laminated in plastic.  Now that I am using it to solve problems, I am finding probably 1/3 of the connections are wrong.  For example, I was wiring up my ignition switch a few days ago.  A couple of wires found homes, but I was left with four wires.  The wiring diagram showed NONE of the colors of the four remaining wires going to the ignition switch.  What?  Keep in mind, when I took the steering column apart, I cable tied all the wires together, since I knew the day would come when they would have to go back on the ignition switch, so, these are not just stray wires - they came off the ignition switch nine months ago.

Question: Where can I get an accurate '72-'73 Tii wiring diagram?  The bogus one I bought said '73-'73 2002 Tii.  Well, it's not. 

Thanks in advance for any leads!

- Rob

'72 Golf Tii with sunroof

Similar experience... 

I have a late '68 1600.  Never found a matching diagram. 

and a wiring harness pulled from a '76 2002.  Never found a matching diagram. 

and a wiring harness from an unknown car (came in box of parts).  Never found a matching diagram. 

I'm making my own wiring diagram as I rebuild my car, using mainly new wires. 

I swear I post this weekly and need to figure out how to sticky it or something, but no matter.  The BEST place for the exact, correct diagrams for each individual model year is here:

http://www.2002tii.org/kb/246

Find the one under which your model/region/trim/variant falls and download it.  When you open the downloaded pdf in a real pdf viewer (not just in the browser), you'll see that they have bookmarks for identifying all of the numbered components.  They are all B&W though, so you need to make sure to read them carefully.

For Squaries, there's a nice color one available here, but it's a bit 'generic' and is missing many things like the emissions junk that changed some from year to year:

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/articles/technical-articles/electrical-and-ignition/2002-wiring-diagram-color-coded-r289/

Prospero's Garage sells *some* nice color diagrams as well, but I don't think they cover quite all of the models.  Might be worth checking out though if you're really after a colored one:

https://colorwiringdiagrams.com/t/1600--2002

For those specific ones mentioned thusfar in this thread:

USA '72 tii is here: http://www.2002tii.org/diagrams/bmw2002tii-usa-mod71.pdf

USA '68 1600 6V here: http://www.2002tii.org/diagrams/bmw1600-2.pdf

or 12V here: http://www.2002tii.org/diagrams/bmw1600-2-12v-usa.pdf

USA '76 here: http://www.2002tii.org/diagrams/bmw2002-usa-1976.pdf

Edited by AustrianVespaGuy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Vespa -

Thank you for the links.  The Tii.org ones are clearly the nicest, though I have to figure out how to print it on a large piece of paper, since I still can't read all the small print.  FYI - Prospero's is the one I have where 1/3 of the wires are just wrong. 

- Rob

• Like 1

Should be all set! And that's a nice looking Golf you've got yourself there too; have fun with it!

Final protip, with that nice big printout if it were ME, I'd have some markers on hand to start slowing tracing out the wires in the proper colors each time I referenced it.  Doing it all at once would be a bit tedious, but one-bite-at-a-time whenever you're working on a particular circuit would be a much milder way to conquer the task!

Edited by AustrianVespaGuy
  • Like 1

Fjord -

Great idea.  Also, there is a one-page chart that numbers around 89 things, wiper motor, cigar lighter, et cetera.  The chart I have says that the Tii time switch is the fuse box.  Still can't find an accurate table listing the numbers of the components on the electrical diagram!  Can anyone help?

- Rob

47 minutes ago, fjord-tii said:

correlate color wire/combination to what it attaches to

Though fairly poor at circuit design, the German designers were still clever enough to help you out here with some a very well thought out scheme.  Here's the list of 'tricks' that it's really good to be aware of:

1.) All solid brown wires go to ground.

2.) All solid red wires go to the battery.

3.) All other solid-colored wires are UN-fused, as in they connect to the 'hot' side of the fuse panel.

4.) All striped (2-color) wires are FUSE protected, and run from the protected side of the fuse panel to the respective device they control.

5.) Not sure about ALL vintages here, but ignition key usually has red, green and purple wires.  Red (fused red-striped) are 'always hot', Green (/green striped) are hot in run and start positions, and Purple (/purple striped) are hot in run and accessory positions.

Hope this helps!

36 minutes ago, Stein-man said:

Still can't find an accurate table listing the numbers of the components on the electrical diagram!

Check and see if there are other versions/options of the bookmarks in you pdf.  I've noticed some of them have ALL the various bookmark files and so you need to hunt for the right one unfortunately.  Let me know which one you're using and I'll help you out!

Here's an example of lousy wiring documentation:  I took out the ignition switch so I could inspect the backside where the wires go.  There are 6 places to connect wires (actually 7, but it's one with its neighbor).  Markings on the back are 30 (likely for two jumped connectors), P, 15, 50, and R. 

Now over to the handy dandy wiring diagram.  It shows 12 wiring connections, labeled 1-12.  ?

The wires I need to match up with connectors are: fat green, twin greens to one terminal, fat red, purple, red, black, and gray (seems to go the the wiper control). 

Now over to the handy wiring diagram.  It shows that wires that terminate at the back of the ignition switch are all bi-colored, except for a single green wire.  ?

Can anyone provide accurate documentation so I can wire up this lovely car?  Thanks in advance!

- Rob