• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not the 49-Mile Drive-2020 on 12 December, 2020

layers

NT49MD-20 Pete route & photos checked 201206.pdf

Welcome to NT49MD-20 announcements and drivers protocol 201207.doc

NT49MD-20 final graphic 201129_not49mile2020.jpgNot the 49 Mile Drive, BayArea 02's annual rally, comes to San Francisco again on December 12 (2nd Saturday in December).  At about 9:30 A.M. we will meet at a new location: in The Presidio across the street from the Officer’s Club (50 Moraga

Ave

., the Moraga Parking Lot).  From here you can start route instructions and driving protocol you downloaded and can purchase a NT40MD-20 T-shirt or a BayArea 02 mask.

Rather than a driver's meeting please download the driving protocol sheet; all cars will be off by 10:00 AM.  After encountering some major, minor and probably weird roads and alleys around San Francisco (we never leave The City) we will meet again in a parking lot to review the photos in the handout that each navigator will have numbered during the rally in the order of observation. Note: in deference to the pandemic, this year does NOT include lunch!

Pandemic rules: if anyone is at all sick, please do NOT come!  Wear your mask at all times when outside; social distance at least 6Ft.; clean your hands often.  Please be careful— we do NOT want any spread of the corona virus from or to anyone!

Rallymeister Pete Petras has our rally route ready for your download.  He works in The City so he can easily encounter the fun and delightful highways, byways and avenues that help us discover hidden gems, gorgeous views and surprising streets that make San Francisco such a unique adventure for all of us living in the Bay Area.

Join us for the fun rally, wave at your friends from a social distance and learn and enjoy some of San Francisco’s road history and quirks.  We recommend driving with a navigator from your family, so the driver can drive and the crew can give turn instructions and watch for the rally photo locations to number in viewing order. Solo drivers are also welcome.  Kids are always welcome to ride along and provide keen eyes!

Be sure to highlight 12 December on your calendar for the NT49MD-2020 rally!

Note: You can see a few photos from NT49MD-2019 at [https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/253416-nt49md-2019%E2%80%94-not-the-49-mile-drive-saturday-14-december-20/].  Photos from 2015 are at [http://www.bmw2002faq.com/topic/174801-2015-bay-area-2002-not-the-49-mile-scenic-drive/#entry1079809 ].

Larry Ayers

IMPORTANT ADDITIONS!!

I added the files for Route Instructions and Driver's Protocol-- PLEASE download these files and print them for your reference on 12 December or save them on your portable computer to read during the rally.  The Driver's Protocol is both Welcome to NT49MD-20 and instructions we would normally have in a Driver's Meeting which is cancelled due to gathering prohibition.

There are a few porta-pottys available near the Moraga Ave parking lot where we start (actually, pottys are at Sheridan & Arguello), but the normal restrooms are closed at the Presidio Visitor's Center due to construction.  Other restrooms are available at Chrissy Field or eventually in Golden Gate Park (see route instructions).

I do have some T-shirts and face masks available for purchase: $10 per shirt and & $5 per mask, cash or check.  Since we are not "gathering", sales will be one purchaser at a time.  Please realize that with just 50 shirts ordered, sizes are first-come, first-served.

Remember, this is a car rally, not a prohibited "gathering", so please be sure to have fun but maintain safety from the Pandemic!

NT49MD-20 final graphic 201129_not49mile2020.jpg

NT49MD-20 Pete route & photo KEY checked 201206.pdf

Edited by layers
finalize text; resize image; add Protocol & route instructions & key
  • Like 5

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

’73 Malaga— first car, now gone

'74tii Malaga

7 hours ago, BGB said:

What is the start time of this? I just realized it is the same day as another Rally I signed up for ?

I'm assuming the Breakfast Club Rally? I've signed up as well. What to do, what to do...

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

4 hours ago, 1936spyder said:

I'm assuming the Breakfast Club Rally? I've signed up as well. What to do, what to do...

Yep, quite the decision... This will be my last drive of the year as I am bringing the 2002 in to get a few upgrades.   

Edited by BGB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BGB said:

Yep, quite the decision... This will be my last drive of the year as Im bring the 2002 in to get a few upgrades.   

Hello Ben-

Wendell?

2Q6A6600.JPG

• Like 1

• layers changed the title to Not the 49-Mile Drive-2020 on 12 December, 2020

Ben & Wendell--

If you just show up at the start I'll hand you the route instructions.  I'll also post them and the photo key on FAQ within a day or two following the rally.

Brian-- Are you bringing your family, including your eagle-eye kids, with you?

• Like 1

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'74tii Malaga

14 hours ago, layers said:

Ben & Wendell--

If you just show up at the start I'll hand you the route instructions.  I'll also post them and the photo key on FAQ within a day or two following the rally.

Brian-- Are you bringing your family, including your eagle-eye kids, with you?

Hi there, Larry! Yes, the girls are my secret weapon so they will be there.

• Administrators

Unfortunately i will not be able to make the drive, but I am looking for someone to write about 900 words with photos about the event to show to the rest of the world how cool SF is and how awesome BayAre02 group represents it.

Anyone interested?  Please contact me.

Steve K.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

1 hour ago, steve k. said:

Unfortunately i will not be able to make the drive, but I am looking for someone to write about 900 words with photos about the event to show to the rest of the world how cool SF is and how awesome BayAre02 group represents it.

Anyone interested?  Please contact me.

Hi Steve--

I'll help you look for an author!

Larry

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'74tii Malaga

Any chance this can be rescheduled for the following weekend on the 19th? I think some of us had planned on participating in the BCR rally the morning of the 12th.

5 minutes ago, Vic2002 said:

What is the start time of this? I just realized it is the same day as another Rally I signed up for ?

I Did too signed up for the BCR event...?

9:30. BCR starts at 9 and they just canned C&C beforehand because of the recent Covid restrictions. I'm gonna do this as I've not done it before and it's an annual event whereas BCR is monthly.

• BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

Unveiling of the Neue Klasse Unveiled in 1961, BMW 1500 sedan was a revolutionary concept at the outset of the '60s. No tail fins or chrome fountains. Instead, what you got was understated and elegant, in a modern sense, exciting to drive as nearly any sports car, and yet still comfortable for four.   The elegant little sedan was an instant sensation. In the 1500, BMW not only found the long-term solution to its dire business straits but, more importantly, created an entirely new
    History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

In 1966, BMW was practically unknown in the US unless you were a touring motorcycle enthusiast or had seen an Isetta given away on a quiz show.  BMW’s sales in the US that year were just 1253 cars.  Then BMW 1600-2 came to America’s shores, tripling US sales to 4564 the following year, boosted by favorable articles in the Buff Books. Car and Driver called it “the best $2500 sedan anywhere.”  Road & Track’s road test was equally enthusiastic.  Then, BMW took a cue from American manufacturers,
    The BMW 2002 Production Run

The BMW 2002 Production Run

BMW 02 series are like the original Volkswagen Beetles in one way (besides both being German classic cars)—throughout their long production, they all essentially look alike—at least to the uninitiated:  small, boxy, rear-wheel drive, two-door sedan.  Aficionados know better.   Not only were there three other body styles—none, unfortunately, exported to the US—but there were some significant visual and mechanical changes over their eleven-year production run.   I’ve extracted t
  • Upcoming Events

• Supporting Vendors