Kügelfischer screw

Hi all,

I was trying to fill my k.f with oil for a first start, and instead managed to snap a torx bit in the filler screw like an idiot.

The screw in question (not my actual k.f)

IMG-20201116-WA0000.jpg

It's pretty well in there, I've tried hammering a punch, drilling (then realised its hardened steel) and just flat head with a hammer, wirh no success. I'm thinking of jb welding a slightly smaller bit into the small leftover space, try to remove the screw and

then replace it. Might have to borrow a dremel and cut a flat head slot in to remove it.

Does anyone know what specific screw I could use to replace this. It doesn't look like a grub screw, seems to have a head/lip to it. Or maybe someone has a spare they'd be willing to sell (note, you would be shipping to south africa)?

Also, any other ideas to remove it, other than welding.

Thanks again.

A competent machine shop (look for a job shop, it does not have to be an automotive machine shop) will be able to remove the broken bit. It will cost much less than a KF pump. A carbide drill bit will work on the broken torx bit to drill it out. I don't think that screw takes a torx bit, should use a hex bit.

• Like 1

Once you've got it to where you need to use an Allen key again, know that Facom tools makes Allen wrenches that are very exactly sized with an ever so slight dish to the face of them which makes them a tiny bit less likely to round out the screw in high torque situations. Of course, make sure the Allen hole in the screw is free of rust (q-tip with phosphoric acid, then pack with baking soda and  flush with water to neutralize) and any other debris to ensure the but gets a good grip. And soak the threads with penetrating oil. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally managed to get the sucker out. Had to use a dremel with a carbide tip and slowly grind away the broken bit. Then I used a screw extractor (tappered reverse threaded tap) attached to a breaker bar to finally crack the bolt free. Now I just need to find a replacement, I think it's a bit too much to ship it from the US, especially when I can probably find a replacement locally. 

20201127_211425.jpg

I'll post the specs of the screw if I can find a replacement

Edited by MARHD

Just thought I'd update this, in case some lost soul needs to find a replacement screw at some stage in the future. 

I found the perfect screw at a store 5 minutes away from my house luckily. The screw in question is an allen head sump plug/screw, thread M12x1.5, length from the underside of the head is 12mm roughly. I found these 2 on mcmaster, 1 is stainless and the other regular steel.

https://www.mcmaster.com/3600N31/

https://www.mcmaster.com/97313A109/

This is the one I got: http://www.autofast.co.za/product-range/sump-plug-m12-x-1-5-din-908-allen-key-type/

20201202_165440.jpg

20201202_165620.jpg

Last question, how much oil does the kügelfischer take? Should I just fill it till some oil comes out the top?

Edited by MARHD
  • Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, ray_ said:

Yes, just fill it. The pump is lubricated via engine oil (pressure) but always refill with motor oil if serviced and therefore low.

Cheers,

Awesome, thanks😁

Edited by MARHD

I understand that the oil level in the pump is only up to the oil return port where it drains back to the engine.  So if you keep pouring oil in, the oil will continue to drain down to the port level, i.e. it  will never stay FULL.

Edited by jimk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1