Correct emblem...

Go to solution Solved by John_in_VA,

Perhaps another faint (or fat) chance search - altho the gearbox and differential query yielded great leads.  

Looking for the front hood emblem for ‘72 tii. Not the plastic ones, or the metal edged ones which are almost correct but appear clear coated.  This new best friend of the car would have the metal edges, but the black surround would be  matt vs shiny, tho perhaps not as much eroded in the middle as the example attached here.  

324D9B82-2FDD-4ABE-8059-D0308C9878A7.jpeg

Edited by Chris Smith
  • Solution

There is a classified section with Parts for Sale & Parts Wanted, but the metal roundel was reissued/available a few years ago.  Check with https://www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com/ or https://www.blunttech.com/

Mike Self will tell you to repaint/restore the one you have & can tell you the Testor's paint colors needed.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Hi Chris - I have a new but original style badge (metal that has been painted/enameled) on my car, and I asked my mechanic about this exact issue before he retired. Originally, the badge would have been shiny, including the black, but the paint used back then would oxidize. Fast forward 48 years, you get the emblem in the picture! The front badge is available (51145480181) as is the rear for a '72 (51141801560). These should be the "raised metal" versions (I know for sure the front is the correct part number since that is what I bought and have). You can also repaint them using Testors model enamel paint.

5 hours ago, John_in_VA said:

Mike Self will tell you to repaint/restore the one you have & can tell you the Testor's paint colors needed.  Good luck!

If you don't want to buy a new one, PM me and I'll be glad to share how I refurbished the original emblems on both my '69 and '73.

cheers

mike