Hey everyone. Pretty new to the 02 game and this one is making me feel it for sure. Recently got my '71 Sahara back from the body shop and started putting it back together. There are now some holes on the rear panel that were NOT there prior to breaking the car down. All I can think of is that the media blasting removed some filler from holes and neither myself or the body shop picked up on it. This is really unfortunate obviously. Now I'm faced with the choice to either repaint the rear panel or put back on the pieces that originally filled these holes.

The next problem is that I'm not sure what trim pieces would have gone in these places. Below is a picture of what I'm working with. I'm pretty sure that the three holes with the arrow pointing to them, just above the bumper line would be for red reflectors. I didn't want these on the car but I guess that would work as opposed to filling them. The two holes in the left of the picture in the circle I have no idea as to what they are. I have looked at a lot of roundie pictures and have not seen what might work there. Does anyone have a clue what those are for? Any help would be appreciated!

Rob

IMG_20201112_150034~2.jpg

The two holes on the rear panel's left side aligned with the license plate and its lights is probably an old selling dealer metal plate--they were quite common when these cars were new but left holes when removed.  They were probably covered with bondo by a subsequent owner, and the bondo fell out during the repaint.  (They should have been welded).  I'm sure you can find some sort of appropriate badge that can be attached through one or the other hole to cover 'em; it's a little late to weld 'em up.

The pair of three holes on the lower band of the rear panel are for the rear reflectors.  The Feds apparently decided sometime in 1970 that the tail lights didn't meet the NTHSA reflectivity standards, so BMW added two (unlit) red side reflectors to the rear panel.  That's where they go.

mike

• Like 1

Yes, Mike I would love to have caught this and had them welded up for sure. I could probably have the body shop do that and repaint the entire rear panel but that seems extreme at this point. Maybe one day. But I like the idea of finding a cool badge to put there. 

I originally liked the idea of having a cleaner look on the rear without the reflectors as well but that's obviously shot. So now I'll just filled it up with all sorts of stuff!! 

I say fill and paint the panel whilst it's all apart. Body shop should do you a cost price seeing as they're partly to blame for not noticing and it's a pretty quick and easy job at this stage anyway. Otherwise those ugly reflectors will annoy you for years to come.

15 hours ago, Russellrh72 said:

Hey everyone. Pretty new to the 02 game and this one is making me feel it for sure. Recently got my '71 Sahara back from the body shop and started putting it back together. There are now some holes on the rear panel that were NOT there prior to breaking the car down. All I can think of is that the media blasting removed some filler from holes and neither myself or the body shop picked up on it. This is really unfortunate obviously. Now I'm faced with the choice to either repaint the rear panel or put back on the pieces that originally filled these holes.

The next problem is that I'm not sure what trim pieces would have gone in these places. Below is a picture of what I'm working with. I'm pretty sure that the three holes with the arrow pointing to them, just above the bumper line would be for red reflectors. I didn't want these on the car but I guess that would work as opposed to filling them. The two holes in the left of the picture in the circle I have no idea as to what they are. I have looked at a lot of roundie pictures and have not seen what might work there. Does anyone have a clue what those are for? Any help would be appreciated!

Rob

Just out of curiosity, I notice the lower two holes on each side where the bumpers screws go through are letting light through from the trunk. Did they forget the reinforcement brackets?

6 hours ago, NickVyse said:

I say fill and paint the panel whilst it's all apart. Body shop should do you a cost price seeing as they're partly to blame for not noticing and it's a pretty quick and easy job at this stage anyway. Otherwise those ugly reflectors will annoy you for years to come.

I agree those reflectors would really bother me. Should be a easy fix for them. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2020 at 12:15 PM, Russellrh72 said:

Rob

I have a 1970 I am getting ready for paint and mine also has this third 1/4 diameter hole behind each reflector - it is also covered with Bondo - located above the inner mount holes.  So for sure my previous owner did the same to their rear panel before painting - I am referring to the hole to the right of the arrow and if you go to the driver side there is a third hole there too - right above the bumper mount....and almost covered by the red circle.  Someone solve this mystery?  I will weld them shut but enquiring minds need to know!  

On 11/13/2020 at 12:32 PM, John_in_VA said:

I moved the red illuminated side markers to the rear panel to replace the reflectors when my 'Sahara '70 had its first repaint (shaved the front & rear side markers).  Provided a bit more visibility for the approaching vehicles!

I'm with John, I deleted my DOT required side marker lights/reflectors on my 74 tii during repaint.  Great paint job, Sahara rocks!

13230174_1405865609430962_7939840583216488232_n.jpg