Clever ways to secure failing strut bearing for shipping?

I'll be shipping a car I'm buying - it has a front strut bearing that's ready to fail at any minute. Anyone have a clever way to secure the car so that if it cuts lose the strut doesn't damage the hood? Taking off the hood isn't really in the cards I don't think, nor it just fixing it prior to shipping.

Barrett

Nothing needed.  The top spring perch will come to rest against the bottom of the stationary part of the strut bearing housing.  It runs real close now and on an old bearing housing it sometimes the perch rubs against the housing.

Edited by jimk
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, jimk said:

Nothing needed.  The top spring perch will come to rest against the bottom of the stationary part of the strut bearing housing.  It runs real close now and on an old bearing housing it sometimes the perch rubs against the housing.

I know I've heard stories of damaged hoods this way - if the bearing lets go, what keeps the shock center shaft, now without any load on it, from un compressing to where when the car jounces it hits the hood? - not wanting to argue or disagree with anyone, your answer that it can't damage is the easiest. I just need to understand the possible failure mechanism to be sure it's addressed. 

Edited by BarrettN
3 minutes ago, BarrettN said:

I know I've heard stories of damaged hoods this way

Those stories are real alright.  I've seen the dimpled hoods caused by the rubber detaching from the strut support.  I doubt that just having the car transported would create enough jounce to force the top of the shock rod into the hood.  But it has happened, perhaps with a completly separated rubber section and a deep enough pot hole at speed.  Might also depend on how far a particular shock absorber can extend with the rubber unhitched.  Can't hurt to try something simple like @Mike G suggests.

10 hours ago, BarrettN said:

I know I've heard stories of damaged hoods this way - if the bearing lets go, what keeps the shock center shaft, now without any load on it,

The shock rod has a step on it and will not pass thru the spring perch.  The top spring perch will rest against the base (bottom side) of the strut mount bearing.  A strut mount that has stretched or broken rubber will have the rivets rubbing on the top spring perch just like will happen if the spacer washers were left out on assembly.  The rod into the roof is not believable or there would be many 02s with damaged roofs.  If it hits the hood, the strut assembly has been hacked.

Can't go anywhere.  A failure while driving would be catastrophic if it did.  There are certain safety concepts engineered in the car and this is one of them.  The Germans aren't so dumb as to have the suspension fly apart if a rubber item failure.  

Edited by jimk
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, jimk said:

The Germans aren't so dumb as to have the suspension fly apart if a rubber item failure.  

Maybe those clever Germans resolved the problem by adding spacers on top of the mounts.  :) 

I just put a piece of clay on top of the strut-mount dust-cap and closed the hood.

The gap on mine is an inch, as it sits now, but that is with the spacers installed. 

My spacers are just over 3/4 of an inch, so the hood clearance without them is quite small.

Tom

• Like 1

My previous '02, a '68 1600, had lumps in the hood from the inside directly over the strut mounts. Not sure how that happened, it came to me like that. I suspect that if you remove the plastic covers and shorten the strut rod, the only thing that will happen if the rubber fails is that the upper spring perch will be pressed against the inner fender, rendering steering very difficult.

Jerry