FOUND Looking for a Longneck LSD for my 1969 1600.

1600-2 and 2002 models from March 1966 until January 1969 used the same long-neck differentials, although 1600-2 models generally had 4.11 ratios and 2002 models generally had 3.64 ratios. Original limited slip examples exist but are extremely rare in Europe, and even more rare in the U.S..

With that said, forum members far more knowledgeable than I vouch that the limited slip mechanism from the short-neck differentials can be fitted into a long-neck unit. Thus, you might not be able to easily find an original long-neck LSD, but I’d bet that someone, such as Ken Blasko, could build you a long-neck LSD. And you could possibly get a ratio other than the 1600-2’s 4.11 — if you wanted a ratio other than 4.11.

Good luck,

Steve

• Thanks 1

Again, thank you Steve.  I was looking up the options and not getting far.  I do not know Ken Blasko so what I will do is look him up and have a discussion.  Maybe I can then buy another longneck and have him ""customize"" it (if possible) so it is ready when my old one gives up the ghost.  Just kinda spit-balling bit really....

On 11/6/2020 at 6:34 AM, Conserv said:

With that said, forum members far more knowledgeable than I vouch that the limited slip mechanism from the short-neck differentials can be fitted into a long-neck unit. Thus, you might not be able to easily find an original long-neck LSD, but I’d bet that someone, such as Ken Blasko, could build you a long-neck LSD. And you could possibly get a ratio other than the 1600-2’s 4.11 — if you wanted a ratio other than 4.11.

Not super knowledgeable on the subject either but I was under the impression that the long-neck ring gear and pinion gear had a different offset than the short necks (aka can't swap pumpkins). Or maybe it was just the E21 LSD. I seem to recall @Schnellvintage saying something along these lines.

• Like 2
  • JWT changed the title to Looking for a Longneck LSD for my 1969 1600.
  • 2 weeks later...