Yet Another Transmission Mystery?

Maybe it isn't, I'm hoping I'm just missing something obvious, but I'm getting cross eyed from reading posts 

This date casting is from a 232 4 speed, it appears to have no nubs indicating the month

I pointed out a few suspects in the pics, but I'm just grabbing at straws

Has anyone ever seen one like this?

Thanks in advance!

00.jpg

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Yes: more than a few times. It’s probably a January 1972 casting. Unless it’s a February 1972 casting. There was not a lot of quality control surrounding the “month nubs”! 😉

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Conserv said:

....There was not a lot of quality control surrounding the “month nubs”! 😉

Regards,

Steve

Thanks Steve, I'll cancel my order for an electron microscope 🙂

I know it's not a big deal, but those little details are just as interesting as anything else.

As a follow-up...

From what I've read there is no database or reference for the serial number on the transmission, no known coding there either (other than the "/4" I guess)

Am I right about that? 

Thanks again! 

Matthew

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, mreinsmith said:

Thanks Steve, I'll cancel my order for an electron microscope 🙂

I know it's not a big deal, but those little details are just as interesting as anything else.

As a follow-up...

From what I've read there is no database or reference for the serial number on the transmission, no known coding there either (other than the "/4" I guess)

Am I right about that? 

Thanks again! 

Matthew

I have previously posted some technical details regarding transmission numbers - like the change from Porsche to Borg Warner type synchronizers. 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, jgerock said:

I have previously posted some technical details regarding transmission numbers - like the change from Porsche to Borg Warner type synchronizers. 

Yes indeed!

I've read many of yours as well (and I'm still looking)

Thanks!

4 hours ago, mreinsmith said:

... From what I've read there is no database or reference for the serial number on the transmission, no known coding there either (other than the "/4" I guess)

Am I right about that?...

That’s correct, Matthew,

If someone wanted to start collecting serial numbers from our transmissions, that person — who I would, no doubt, idolize thereafter — could probably come up with serial number ranges by year, or even month. Of course, lots of transmissions have been swapped by now, so some data points might not be meaningful, unless you could also see the housing’s casting date. One way to check whether a transmission is original to a car, and it’s a rough check, is to compare the casting date of the housing to the car’s manufacturing date. It should be within a few months preceding the car’s manufacturing date.

Maybe that person — soon to be idolized — starts this project by simply collecting serial numbers and casting dates for transmissions not currently installed. It would take someone two minutes to record (with photographs) those two bits of data. Stick them in a database and you’ve got a good base!

Ah... to dream!

Best regards,

Steve

8 minutes ago, Conserv said:

......It would take someone two minutes to record (with photographs) those two bits of data. Stick them in a database and you’ve got a good base!

No promises, but it shouldn't be that difficult

Thanks again 

• Like 1